Choppy Sounds

Sonny
Sonny Member Posts: 16 Member
edited August 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Though my sound libraries have been loaded on an external hard drive and they show up in my DAW (Logic Pro), they all sound fine once loaded up which takes time but many times recently, once the track is bounced in placed or bounced out completely it sounds choppy, kind of like the samples didn't loaded even though they did load up. I had already waited for the full bar to load up. It has started happening with my String Ensemble Library and more recently on my Piano Libraries as well.I was super surprised when this happened even on a track that used very little CPU. How do I prevent fro happening?

Best Answers

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

Mayhaps it can help you in your choppy case:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210296445-Mac-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

Mac Tuning Tips for Audio Processing

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod

Hey @Sonny what is your Operating system? What format is the external hard drive? It should be APFS: Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

• Sonny

@Jeremy_NI

Thanks for getting back to me .

MacBook Pro (16 Inch 2019)

16 GB

ExFAT

this post below did not help me

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210296445-Mac-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

Hey @Sonny As I said in my previous comment, the drive needs to be formatted to APFS: Notes on Hard Drive Formats on Mac Computers

The performance issues of Kontakt / Komplete Kontrol is due to the ExFat format.

• Sonny

so I have to restore the hardrive and reload all the sounds?

• Sonny
  • Jeremy_NI

Yes indeed, you need to reformat the drive.

• Sonny

@Jeremy_NI

Hi, thanks for the response my Mac didn't give me an option to reformat to APFS so instead I reformatted it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I am not sure what scheme is but the Scheme is set to Master Boot Record. Is this good enough? Will I have further problems or does something else need to be done?

• Sonny

@Jeremy_NI

My sounds are still choppy changing them to Mac OS Journaled

• Jeremy_NI

@Sonny Please check KJontakt and Komplete Kontrol in standalone, is everything functional? Do you also have performance issues? If you load a Kontakt instance instead of Komplete Kontrol in a Logic project, is the sound choppy as well? Can you post screenshots of your audio settings in Logic?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

@Sonny

I am on Win, not Mac. I used to have similar problems on my older computer. I even had Libraries on internal SSD disc. Even when rendered, the sound was corrupted, some notes missing or cut off too soon....

The source of problem was insuffitient RAM. Computer used virtual RAM, but swapping was not fast enought.

How much RAM do you have in your computer? And how much RAM uses your project? Keep in mind that some of Kontakt libraries take hell of RAM. One instrument of Stradivari Violin takes several GB of RAM!!! If one uses more such 'beasts', one may easily run out of RAM. System does not tell you, RAM is swapped and it works fine for most of applications, but for real time tasks like music production it may cause problem...

When completing a new computer recently, I put there 64 GB RAM. Do not need that much right now, but 16 GB was not enought for sure. For my use case.

• Sonny

@Kubrak I do have a 16 GB processor but you are the first person to tell me that it is not enough

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited May 2023

@Sonny

I do not say, it is not enought in your case (Mac and size of project). I do not know. But, is it still x86 Mac, not AS? In that case it could be RAM, if your project is big.

Have a look how much RAM is used. If it is way more than physical RAM size, it might be source of your problems. Also depending, how fast disc with swap file is. But I had fast SSD and no way.... :-( (But I had 8 GB RAM and used 12 GB, so needs for swapping vere enormous...)

• Jeremy_NI

Please check Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol in standalone, is everything functional? Do you also have performance issues? If you load a Kontakt instance instead of Komplete Kontrol in a Logic project, is the sound choppy as well?

This discussion has been closed.