Kontakt 6+7 Not Playing Audio in DAW but Working in Standalone

MT1096
MT1096 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited April 2023 in Kontakt

Recently set up a new pc and am in the process of getting all my projects set up on it, when I came accross a frustrating bug. I installed Kontakt Player 6 and 7 and neither one outputs audio when running through my daw, FL Studio 21. Other plugins produce audio just fine. But Kontakt does not. The VST is recognizing the MIDI, the volume bar in the top right moves, the MIDI channel is set to omni, and there's still no sound. I've done everything I've seen suggested by google (purge and reload samples, make sure output is registering sound, use the ! restart button, reinstall kontakt and the libraries I'm using) and nothing has made Kontakt make a peep. I've also tried using MIDI channel A since that is what Kontakt was defaulting too, no luck. This is very frustrating considering that I can get audio through an ASIO driver in standalone Kontakt, but not in the DAW, even when the DAW is utilizing the same driver. All help appreciated.

Best Answer

• MT1096
    Answer ✓

Hello, I have figured out the root issue and turns out it has nothing to do with Kontakt at all. Today I inserted new Kontakt instances in my daw and was able to use the MIDI channel settings mentioned above to get them working. However, Kontakt instances that already existed were still not working. However, when I moved the new instance I created onto a mixer track I had already set up in my project, the audio went away. It turns out that the plugin on said mixer track was requiring an activation since my migration to the new PC and I never received a popup when adding the plugin to FL. I've now validated my license and everything is working fine. Let this be a lesson to anyone with a similar issue coming across this: check other aspects of your project instead of tunnel visioning on Kontakt being the problem if the conventional sollutions don't work!

Answers

• Nickipedia
    Nickipedia Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

I had the same thing going on in Digital Performer. I've had to do two different solutions. One I had to rebuild a patch (thankfully it was just a single sample for).

The other was my output was incorrect, I had to change output to default (instrument). I'm using Kontakt 7 as a V-rack and assign my outputs through the DAW instead of inside of Kontakt. So maybe that will help?

• MT1096

I'm not sure exactly what setting you're referring to since we're in different DAWs. I went into FL's MIDI Settings tab, and tried changing MIDI output from Microsoft MIDI Mapper to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, enabled Send Master Sync, switched Port to 0, 1 and 2, and tried all the 'Syncronization Type' options, and nothing has changed. Is there perhaps a device missing? The two I mentioned are the only two listed.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,296 mod

What ASIO driver have you chosen in Kontakt in standalone ? Waht ASIO driver have you chosen in FL Studio? Can you hear the sound if you click on the onscreen keyboard of Kontakt?

• MT1096

I've tried both FL Studio ASIO and ASIO for all in both standalone and FL, and both times the audio plays in standalone but not within FL. Using the on screen keyboard does not produce a sound.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,296 mod

If you select and show the outputs, do you see any signal in the outputs?

If you open this box and reset output section for VST3 Plugin, still no sound?

• MT1096

Yes, I see signal in the outputs just like you showed but there is no sound, even after selecting that reset option you highlighted.

• MT1096
    Answer ✓

Hello, I have figured out the root issue and turns out it has nothing to do with Kontakt at all. Today I inserted new Kontakt instances in my daw and was able to use the MIDI channel settings mentioned above to get them working. However, Kontakt instances that already existed were still not working. However, when I moved the new instance I created onto a mixer track I had already set up in my project, the audio went away. It turns out that the plugin on said mixer track was requiring an activation since my migration to the new PC and I never received a popup when adding the plugin to FL. I've now validated my license and everything is working fine. Let this be a lesson to anyone with a similar issue coming across this: check other aspects of your project instead of tunnel visioning on Kontakt being the problem if the conventional sollutions don't work!