best way to use Kontakt if i don't play keyboards?

Paresh
Paresh Member Posts: 36 Member

I use it to play back midi tracks but I'd like to get more out of the instruments. I play guitar & there is a guitar to midi option but too much latency. I sometimes get by with the virtual keyboard but it's limited. I can't even find a virtual keyboard in Reaktor. Thanks for any ideas.

Tagged:

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

What about Maschine Jam? It is discontinued, but one can buy it secondhand...

• Paresh

I'm not familiar with that but thank you I will check it out.

• Airy
    Airy Member Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2023

Hi Paresh,

analog guitar to MIDI has always been a challange. But there are some musicians who get good results with the "Roland GR" system. Latency is nearly imperceptable but the playing style on the guitar needs to be adjusted (rather "precise" picking style and fretboard work). This system comes as retrofit version (special pickup for electrical solid body guitars) and there a readily equipped acoustic guitars (steel and nylon) from 3rd party manufacturers like "Godin".

Another option would be to use a digital MIDI guitar in the first place. These are kind of digital keyboards but instead of keys they have frets for defining the notes/pitch and sometimes even strings to allow strumming and picking. There have been professional systems available but at a very high cost. But there are some rather cheap ones available too ("cheap" with the double-meaning of built quality and selling price) which were produced as fun articles (think of "Guitar Hero"). These you can get even cheaper 2nd hand and may be an interesting start into using a guitar-shaped instrument as a MIDI controller.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

Irving Berlin could only play the key of F-Sharp; Black keys.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

When I have started with Komplete and Maschine 2 SW, I had only Maschine Mk2, no keyboards. Maschine MK 2 might be good start. Later on you may add Maschine Jam, which expands abilities of Maschine by a great deal.

Using just Jam is also possible, but it is not so straitforward to use it as the only controller of Maschine SW.

• Paresh

Thanks everyone. I'm familiar with the Roland ecosystem. I hadn't thought about the midi guitar controller, that's an interesting idea. PS Irving Berlin wrote some good songs!

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

My point was that, Berlin - although hindered by his own refusal to learn and adapt - found a way to make music.

Your refusal to put your fingers on a hunk of black or white plastic to get sound out of a computer, integrated with a 'musical instrument digital interface', will be the bane of your own musical experience.

If that sounds lofty or pretentious; I remain. 🙊