Not able to browse and control Komplete kontrol plugins in Ableton
My problem is that when I load Komplete Kontrol as a plug-in on a track in Ableton, I cannot browse it (through BROWSER button) or tweak parameters (through PLUG-IN button, doesn't even light up when I select the track). I have to open the plugin through my laptop and click on the controller icon (picture below) to connect my KK keyboard to the plug-in. Only then is my KK keyboard able to browse and tweak. I have to do this every time I select a new track. As I can see in user reviews, you should be able to scroll through the tracks and tweak them or browse another instrument any time you press plug-in when the track is selected. I cannot do this, also track is not automatically armed. Hardware is KK A49.
Thank you in advance for your help
I have the exact same setup and DAW and it certainly doesn't automatically change to a different instrument when I browse through my tracks in Ableton. What it responds to is the track that has been armed for recording. You can go to a different track and select it and the A49 will sometimes show the instrument, but if another track is armed it will actually only play on the armed track.1
Please post a screenshot of the MIDI settings in Ableton
Do you have any other control surface devices (such as Push)?
Does navigation from the keyboard work (can you move track selection L/R?
What is the version of Live?
A few things to note on how it should work and how it does not work:
- Auto selection of the KK instance on a track will only happen when you use the keyboard itself (or another smart controller) to switch between tracks. It will NOT occur when you select a track with your mouse. It should activate the KK instance tho if you arm the track.
- It is suggested to enable the "Exclusiive Arm" option in Lives preferences since KK can only interact with 1 track at a time
- As you are aware, the track needs to arm in order for the track to force focus to the KK instance on that track
- If you ahve other control surfaces (such as Push) this can override the auto track selection when you have it in Clip/Session mode as this disables the track auto/Psuedo arming when in that mode, other control surfaces may also do the same.
- Unsure but it may be possible to override the behavior of Push by ordering control surface devices by plasing the KK control device as the first in the list of devices.
Hi Jester, thanks for the replay,
So, in the moment I use exclusively KK a49 as controller. When i start Ableton (version 11 ), the KK recognizes Ableton as a host and track button is lit up. Yes i can move through tracks, after that I will load KK plug-in in a few channels. When I drag it onto a track, that's the only time it arms the track and browser and plug-in are available. I will chose an instrument then and when I go back to track mode, moving over a loaded track with the encoder doesn't allow me to enter the plug-in or browse for another instrument. I check inside the plug-in with my mouse and see that kk49 is not set as a controller for the plug-in. Even if i set it manually, like in the picture, the option is not remembered.
Exclusive arming is chosen, windows 10 is updated to latest update, the MIDI setup is the following:0
Seems every man and their dog gets this setup wrong, NI need to make it in BOLD:
Do NOT select the DAW port for a MIDI input. It will cause issues.0
@Jeremy_NI Sorry I didn’t mention earlier, this doesn’t solve the problem, additionaly I tried all combinations for midi input/output. I searched the community and there are other occurrences like this.0
Is everything functional in Komplete Kontrol in standalone?
If you use the VST2 version of Komplete Kontrol do you have the same issue?
Are you running Komplete Kontrol and Ableton as admin? How to Run a Program as an Administrator
Can you show what is selected as input and output for control surface in Ableton's preferences, it should be Komplete Kontrol A DAW under Input and Output. On the screenshot you provided we can't see the totality of the entry.0
- 10.5K All Categories
- 20 Welcome
- 444 Hangout
- 58 NI News
- 206 Tech Talks
- 1K Native Access
- 4.8K Komplete
- 606 Komplete General
- 1.1K Komplete Kontrol
- 1.8K Kontakt
- 469 Reaktor
- 149 Battery 4
- 267 Guitar Rig & FX
- 198 Massive X & Synths
- 206 Other Software & Hardware
- 2.2K Maschine
- 14 Sampling Room
- 2.6K Traktor
- 2.3K Traktor Software & Hardware
- Check out everything you can do
- Create an account
- See member benefits
- Answer questions
- Ask the community
- See product news
- Connect with creators