High CPU of GR6 compared to same preset in GR5

Options
windplayer
windplayer Member Posts: 32 Member

As the release of GR6, I had CPUs being about 5x higher than in GR5 (same presets), the CPU for one instance and a simple preset within GR6 alone is about 30 til 40 percent (within GR5 max. 10%). So, I could use GR6 no more for bigger projects. I thought, an update after some time could help, but it does not.

Does anybody have similar problems with GR6 and ideas how to reduce the CPU?

(I have a Win 11 Notebook, other plugins have normal CPUs)

Answers

• Gandi
    Gandi Member Posts: 56 Helper
    Options

That's what I meant at the beginning. But I couldn't see any difference after I had set the preset identically. 

• windplayer
    Options

I do not know what you suppose with „beginning“. I read about such problems with high CPU of GR6 compared with GR5 in several posts in the internet. I thought, it could have been changed with the latest update; but unfortunately not. I optimized my PC some time ago like described at NI helping desk; graphic card is okay, latency monitor reports no problems.

So, it is strange that there is such a great CPU difference within the same preset between GR5 and GR6; it is a little bit odd that people go back to GR5 because of these problems. Do you have some idea what to do that GR6 works without CPU overload? - Is there a possibilty that technical stuff of NI can check your system? Perhaps with mirroring software?

• Gandi
    Gandi Member Posts: 56 Helper
    Options

Initially, I did not take into account that GR6 is processed in HQ mode.

Set the preset in GR5 to HQ and compare. 

• windplayer
    Options

Hi, that could be an answer... HQ = High quality? - Where can I find this mode? And how can I switch it on and off in GR5 and GR6?

• my.uni
    my.uni Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

As far as I know HQ means Oversampling in GR5. In GR6 hopefully it is done by default.

• windplayer
    Options

I think so; I found no possibility to change "quality"-settings. But the problem remains... There is a real high CPU in Guitar Rig 6; I found a page where NI explains things to optimize.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/de/articles/209571729-Windows-Optimierungs-Tipps-für-die-Audioverarbeitung

But this does not help. I think, it is a problem of programming this audio-tool. Other software has less problems with CPU-overload...

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    Options

Could you please tell us which presets are good examples of the difference you see. And how do you measure cpu load? With the load indicator on the top right of Guitar Rig?

• windplayer
    Options

For exemple: Double Fire Stack

CPU

GR6: 40-41 %

GR5: 8-9%, HI-mode: 16%

"With the load indicator on the top right of Guitar Rig?"

Yes

• Eddie_NI
    edited February 2023
    Options

Are you using the standalone version to measure this? Or are you using Guitar Rig as a plugin? If so, which Host/DAW and which plugin format (VST2/VST3/AAX)?

I can't reproduce this issue on my two Windows computers so far. Are you making sure that the amplifiers and the Control Room in GR6 are not set to stereo?

• windplayer
    Options

I made some tests: I tried it with VST2, VST3 (in Reaper) and as standalone. It is always the same (great difference between GR5 and GR6.

I do not know what you are talking about with the stereo options of certain components; I did not change it.

But there is an interesting thing. If I switch on top of the screen from stereo to only left in GR5, there is not a great change in CPU. But if I switch from Stereo to only left in GR6, the CPU is only as half as much as in stereo-mode (about 22%). This seems also to be in a few other presets I tested: GR5 stereo to L, no great change. GR6 stereo to L (or R): great change in CPU.

I show you the screenshots in the attachment.

• Eddie_NI
    Options

Yes, this is one of the improvements that Guitar Rig 6 brings. The stereo mode of the components in the rack adapts to the input routing you set in the header.

If you click on "L" in the header then all components will get switched to mono, which is less demanding on the cpu.

If you click on the "Stereo" button then all components get switched to stereo, which is more demanding on the cpu.

Also if you load a preset the components will set their stereo mode depending on your input routing configuration.

In Guitar Rig 5 you have to manually adapt all components in the rack and click their respective stereo buttons.

I'm talking about these buttons:

• windplayer
    Options

Did you control the stereo mode in both GR-versions in combination with CPU? In your sceenshot, GR5 with stereo seems to have still less CPU (30 instead of%). Which components would you recommend to set to "mono" in presets?

• Eddie_NI
    Options

@windplayer

I'm not sure if your last post is directed at me and I'm not sure I understand your question.

The picture I posted is a comparison of the "Double Fire Stack" preset in Guitar Rig 5 and 6 and the Rammfire amps and the Control Rooms are all switched to stereo in both.

As you can see the cpu load is lower in GR6 (19%) compared to GR5(29%).

• windplayer
    Options

Hello Eddie, sorry, I forgot the %-number.

I can not reproduce your lower CPU load of GR6. I made settings like you did (Rammfire amps / Control Rooms upper/lower part of the double stack); the result:

GR5: about 30% (similar to your measurement)

GR6: 41% (see screenshot)

So, the stereo settings explain a part of the CPU load-difference, but not the whole thing (you have 19% in GR6!!!).

Perhaps, you have another idea to reduce the cpu-load of GR6...

• Eddie_NI
    edited February 2023
    Options

The only other thing I can think of is that the audio interface settings differ between GR5 and GR6. You should have the same driver, device, sample rate and latency set in order for the comparison to be valid.