"Add library" does NOT offer to move the download

BIF
BIF Member Posts: 491 Pro
edited March 2022 in Native Access

This really frustrates me.

I purchased several content products from 3rd party retailers. Some came with full installers that worked fine through Native Access.

Others are "library only", but neither the vendor nor Native Access make it easy to put the downloaded library files into the correct library folder structure. So using "add library" in Native Access makes you look for the folder of the download. But a critical step is missing, and that is to move the library files to the correct Native instruments application folder FIRST. Then and only then can you do that look-up/registration step and have it point to someplace other than a temporary download folder.

I'm new to Mac. I don't know where to put the downloaded files. Got any clue? Example sound library: Tape Choir. I had to download it manually from the Sonic Couture website, from my customer portal. Doing the "Add Library" function in NA just points everything to the download in the download folder. That's unacceptable!

How do I fix this stuff and where do I need to put these libraries?

Best Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Look at the "Content Location" in Native Access preferences, and put the 3rd party library folder in the same location. If you have already added it to NA, once you move it (make sure to move, not just copy), the product will say it needs repair and which point you "Locate" the library folder in the "Content Location" from above...

Moving 3rd party libraries around is not a function of Native Access...

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

You can create any folder structure you like, as long as you point to that location when adding the library, it should work fine. I myself have a folder called “Kontak Libs” that all my libraries are in, but if you want to break it down further by vendor, then you can do that… for example, in my library folder I have a folder called “Tape Choir” and that library resides in that folder, so either by vendor or library name, it does not matter, but make sure each library has its own folder… look at the structure of your Shared/user folder to see what i mean.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Look at the "Content Location" in Native Access preferences, and put the 3rd party library folder in the same location. If you have already added it to NA, once you move it (make sure to move, not just copy), the product will say it needs repair and which point you "Locate" the library folder in the "Content Location" from above...

Moving 3rd party libraries around is not a function of Native Access...

• BIF

Thank you, I'll try this!

• BIF

Okay, it says "/user/shared". So what goes into that folder; all of the files I downloaded for a given product? That would be messy over time with multiple products all from different software vendors.

Can I create a subfolder under /users/shared , such as maybe /users/shared/vendorname, and then maybe just put all of that vendor's libraries into their own subfolder ? Will Kontakt be able to see it? I sure hope so, because then I can keep some organization at least by vendor.

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

You can create any folder structure you like, as long as you point to that location when adding the library, it should work fine. I myself have a folder called “Kontak Libs” that all my libraries are in, but if you want to break it down further by vendor, then you can do that… for example, in my library folder I have a folder called “Tape Choir” and that library resides in that folder, so either by vendor or library name, it does not matter, but make sure each library has its own folder… look at the structure of your Shared/user folder to see what i mean.

• BIF

That's good to know; thank you so much for your help! I'm going to mark this question "answered". Have a great day!

• BIF

In case it's not obvious to any casual readers here, the answer came by way of TWO posts from Blindeddie. Read both of them to get the whole picture. And my thanks again to Blindeddie for his help!