Using Maschine MK3 with KK S49

Foldyman
Foldyman Member Posts: 39 Member

Hi,

Sorely tempted by a KK S49 to go with Maschine MK3. Not sure how they work in parallel...

Is it possible to have a kit group selected on the MK3, and simultaneously have a different instrument group open on the KK S49?

It seems like this would be a good way to work, but I'm not sure if the Maschine SW can have two focussed groups/sounds at the same time (if that's the right way to put it)?

Another bit of the decision process is how far off a KK S49 MK3 might be. Have these historically followed a release pattern? Conscious they're getting on a bit now and it's a lot to drop on something that might get a replacement soon.

And one more thing is... I already have Komplete 13. If the KK S49 comes with Komplete Select (doesn't seem to be a HW only option), can I give away (or sell) this bit of it to someone who could use it?

Cheers,

A

Best Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    Answer ✓

No, you cannot sell Komplete 13 Select that is bundled with NI HW. You could sell K13 and buy upgrade from K13S to K13 (or what desired).

Hard to say when new line of keyboards will be released. There was not a new HW in several years, so something might come this year.

It is not possible to use KK and MK3 simultaneously for two different sounds, if HW is in "NI" mode.... But if you set KK to MIDI mode it may play different sound than MK3.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

They work very well in parallel but the focus system technically does not allow what you want.

Is it possible to have a kit group selected on the MK3, and simultaneously have a different instrument group open on the KK S49?

For the most part: No, but could be a "yes" depending on your requirements.

No - because whatever Group is active will be focused on both controllers, the way Maschine handles more than one device is focused on production, 1 thing at a time AKA "record and move on" rather than a performance-oriented style where you might want to play drums with the 4x4 controller and keys with the keyboard focused on another Group at the same time.

Yes/Maybe - because you can force a Group to only take MIDI Input from a particular MIDI device, so you can have the MK3 focused on Group A while KK plays something on Group B but the Screens/Knobs will still show you Group A - So, it's kind of awkward.

And one more thing is... I already have Komplete 13. If the KK S49 comes with Komplete Select (doesn't seem to be a HW only option), can I give away (or sell) this bit of it to someone who could use it?

That's a bad idea, not even sure if its allowed... I guess you could give/sell away your SW serial but I do not recommend it, if you ever want to upgrade later or sell your keyboard for any reason the buyer won't have the SW, which devalues it by a lot and makes it much harder to sell. Without the SW KK became a generic keyboard instead of a dedicated one which is the main reason for it costing what it does VS a cheaper alternative.

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

It is not allowed to sell/give away SW bundled with HW. It is also almost impossible. The Licence Code for SW is not transferable. The only way to transfer bundled SW is to transfer also HW..... (Or better said, when seller transfers HW, SW is automatically transferred alongside...)

Answers

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

No, you cannot sell Komplete 13 Select that is bundled with NI HW. You could sell K13 and buy upgrade from K13S to K13 (or what desired).

Hard to say when new line of keyboards will be released. There was not a new HW in several years, so something might come this year.

It is not possible to use KK and MK3 simultaneously for two different sounds, if HW is in "NI" mode.... But if you set KK to MIDI mode it may play different sound than MK3.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

They work very well in parallel but the focus system technically does not allow what you want.

For the most part: No, but could be a "yes" depending on your requirements.

No - because whatever Group is active will be focused on both controllers, the way Maschine handles more than one device is focused on production, 1 thing at a time AKA "record and move on" rather than a performance-oriented style where you might want to play drums with the 4x4 controller and keys with the keyboard focused on another Group at the same time.

Yes/Maybe - because you can force a Group to only take MIDI Input from a particular MIDI device, so you can have the MK3 focused on Group A while KK plays something on Group B but the Screens/Knobs will still show you Group A - So, it's kind of awkward.

That's a bad idea, not even sure if its allowed... I guess you could give/sell away your SW serial but I do not recommend it, if you ever want to upgrade later or sell your keyboard for any reason the buyer won't have the SW, which devalues it by a lot and makes it much harder to sell. Without the SW KK became a generic keyboard instead of a dedicated one which is the main reason for it costing what it does VS a cheaper alternative.

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

It is not allowed to sell/give away SW bundled with HW. It is also almost impossible. The Licence Code for SW is not transferable. The only way to transfer bundled SW is to transfer also HW..... (Or better said, when seller transfers HW, SW is automatically transferred alongside...)

• Foldyman
    Foldyman Member Posts: 39 Member

Thank you both @D-One and @Kubrak