Traktor Crashes on Start-up on Apple Studio (Using Monterey 12.3)

geowars2
geowars2 Member Posts: 14 Member

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest Traktor 3.5.2 onto my Apple Studio (base Max model). The controller I am using is the Traktor S4 MK3.

I can open Traktor, and it allows me to proceed through the tutorial, then freezes after clicking to ignore the 'beatport link' popup. When it's frozen, the CPU usage goes up and remains high, but Traktor never responds and I have to force close it.

I have deleted my settings and restarted Traktor, but issue persists each time I open Traktor.

I suspect Traktor isn't playing nice with either OS 12.3 or the Mac Studio. How can I receive support?

Thanks.

Comments

• geowars2
    edited March 2022

The freezing on start-up has now stopped. But now something new happens. Traktor loads, and the software is responding to my movements on the mixer. However, as soon as I load a track, I hear a click, and then the software stops responding. Clicking 'play' or pressing play on the controller does nothing.

This is not an issue with my controller, as the Mac is able to see it and use it as the sound device (So I can, for example, play music via YouTube and this is being routed through the controller)

Update: I also Tried Traktor 3.4.2. Exact same issues.

• Karlos Santos
    Karlos Santos Member Posts: 136 Advisor
    edited March 2022

I haven't come across this before and to be honest, as your machine is brand new (?) and you're on the newest macOS, I'd file this support:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/categories/360000053697-DJ

Let us know how you get on.

• geowars2
    edited March 2022

Thanks for info!

I identified a workaround to the freezing, which is to turn off multi-core support. This is because the M1 Max isn't supported by Traktor Yet.

Source here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/mac-m1-max-monterey-traktor-3-5-2-hangs-on-startup.463113/

Even after switching it off, I've still had a freeze-up though.

After another restart, it's finally playing audio now so I'll see how it goes and will consider a creating a support request either way.

Things were working quite well with my M1 Mac Mini that the Studio replacing, and Traktor is its primary use-case so I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of M1 Pro/Max support from Traktor, given they've been released a while ago now. I really like Traktor so if I continue having issues, I'll sadly have to return the computer and revert to my mac mini :(

• geowars2
    edited March 2022

Update: It does seem usuable now, but I'll update if I encounter any more strange behaviour, so that it can help the NI tech team or others with a similar setup

• geowars2
    edited March 2022

I've recorded 3-4 sets with Traktor now and all is working well. The multi-core processing option was to blame. As long as it is disabled Traktor is perfectly usable with the Apple Studio (M1 Max model).

fwiw - I would still love to see compatibility enhancements with future updates.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Appreciate you sharing the workaround while the team is working through compatibility issues with M1 Max/Pro @geowars2 🙏