How to delete notes on single pad on Maschine Studio?

Michael Maurer
Michael Maurer Member Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Driving me mad. I cannot delete the midi notes in a single pad without using my mouse. The delete button either deletes the entire pattern or also the sound. All I want is to clear 1 (single) pad from notes. Even the manual did not help. This must be possible, right?

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,250 Expert
    edited February 25 Answer ✓

Since you came back 2 years (😶) after the answers, I see you are still bothered from the issue.

I will make a little correction to HC URBLITZ suggestion that will show you the solution is even faster than what he said:

the right order to do it is: press EVENTS, press SELECT on top and from now every pad you will push will select all the events for this pad (no need to use encoders if you want to delete them all). The pads will even be lit only for the sounds with events recorded and become brighter to show you which sounds you selected

With clear you can delete anything you want at this point (even multiple sounds events all together, if after select you push more than one pad).

So…if you want to delete, let’s say hats and snares, the procedure is:

Push: EVENTS, SELECT, hats and snare pads, CLEAR.

Not so cumbersome in the end ☺️

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited March 2022

Press and hold Erase, press the pad you want to delete the notes from...

EDIT: Above Key combo is for MK3, For Maschine Studio it is Events + Erase + Pad to delete events. (Page 527 of Maschine Studio Manual)

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    edited March 2022

What I always do is to switch from pad mode into step mode (the button directly above pad 16), you'll get to see the full pattern (all the active notes) in the left display, but those for your current sound are also represented on the pad grid. Deselect the notes and your sound is clear.

I definitely agree that some things become confusing. Even if you solo a sound and then use the clear option (shift + pad 9) you'll still clear the full pattern and not just the individual sound (which does make sense, but can also become confusing). Alas, this is what works best for me.

Hope this could help.

(edit)

I found it:

• Switch to keyboard mode by pressing the keyboard button (above pad 14)
    • Now press shift + clear (= pad 9)
    • Switch back to pad mode (pad mode button above pad 13)
    • Verify by pressing the pattern button

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited March 2022

OK, your first solution would require 128 pad presses for to clear a 8 bars of Hi Hat 16th notes...inefficient at best...

your second solution works but still inefficient...

Again, press the Erase button, pads with events in them Highlighted...press the pad you want to delete the events from...pad goes dark...done and verified.

EDIT: Above Key combo is for MK3, For Maschine Studio it is Events + Erase + Pad to delete events. (Page 527 of Maschine Studio Manual)

Another Edit: in Events mode, you must Engage "SELECT"

Work Smarter not Harder!

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    edited March 2022

@Blindeddie I tried your method and it doesn't work for me. I also came across this solution in other areas (old forum & Reddit) but there it gets contradicted as well stating that it doesn't remove notes from the pattern. (edit): those contradictions were obviously wrong.

Alas, this is what I'm doing:

1. Hit browser, select groups, load in the 808 kit with patterns.
    2. Close browser, switch to pad mode.
    3. Not knowing what "pads with events in them highlighted" is supposed to mean I press "Events" and pin it.
    4. I then enable "select", now I see what you mean.
    5. Now you can press erase + a pad to erase.

Each to their own, but both methods don't differ all that much and I kinda prefer mine because it seems quicker (you also don't have to pin anything):

• Select the pad you want gone.
    • Press 'keyboard', followed by 'shift + clear'.
    • Done.

vs

• Press 'events' (make sure this is/gets pinned).
    • Enable "select".
    • Press erase then press the pad you want gone.
    • Done.

My problem with the second method is that you mostly rely on visual feedback, you can't quickly play the sound to make sure this is what needs to be gone. Other than pressing 'select' again to disable it, then pressing the pad, then you can go back to the select mode again. Yes, it definitely works, but I prefer to focus on audible feedback and if you press "keyboard" then you don't have to work around anything like pinning to get there.

• HC URBLITZ
    HC URBLITZ Member Posts: 2 Member

Press the desired Pad, press EVENTS, select the event(s) u want 2 delete with START to END or EVENT Encoder, press CLEAR. That´s it.

• Michael Maurer

Thanks for the answers. I still wish there was a way to delete all events on a single pad without selecting them all. While this works it is cumbersome and I find myself doing it with mouse.

• LostInFoundation
    edited February 25 Answer ✓

Since you came back 2 years (😶) after the answers, I see you are still bothered from the issue.

I will make a little correction to HC URBLITZ suggestion that will show you the solution is even faster than what he said:

the right order to do it is: press EVENTS, press SELECT on top and from now every pad you will push will select all the events for this pad (no need to use encoders if you want to delete them all). The pads will even be lit only for the sounds with events recorded and become brighter to show you which sounds you selected

With clear you can delete anything you want at this point (even multiple sounds events all together, if after select you push more than one pad).

So…if you want to delete, let’s say hats and snares, the procedure is:

Push: EVENTS, SELECT, hats and snare pads, CLEAR.

Not so cumbersome in the end ☺️

• Michael Maurer

Thank you so much. This may seem silly, especially after so much time, but this does make me happy :-)

I try to use Maschine without keyboard and this is something I do all the time. Thank you @LostInFoundation

• LostInFoundation

You’re very welcome!

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 319 Advisor

I personally find that for single character I end up a lot in step mode when focused on the right pad sound and use the left right arrow to quickly navigate on the event I want to delete and then I press clear

• LostInFoundation

Very useful to clear determined events.

2 different approaches for 2 different task (fastest way to clear parts vs fastest way to clear all)

• Kaldosh
    Kaldosh Member Posts: 319 Advisor