NI Komplete Audio 6 Mk2 - having to set buffer to 2048!

robraeo
robraeo Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited March 2022 in Other Software & Hardware

I have just returned to making music after a 12 year break... and got everything all updated and bought a new Komplete Audio 6 Mk2.

The problem is, I am having to set my buffer in both Ableton and Audition to the max at 2048 sometimes or else I get crazy glitching/stuttering.

I know my MacBook Pro is "old," (Mid 2015), but surely it's specs (listed below) can handle this. Each project I'm testing is super minimal. Literally only playing a single AIF file within Audition, and the Ableton set has absolutely nothing complex going on. Ableton project CPU meter says it's only using 3%, and in the main Mac activity monitor there is nothing else significant going on, total CPU load is something like 10% while testing.

The Ableton tone test generator will only go "clean" when the buffer is set to 2048, sometimes 1024 if I'm lucky. 

The odd thing is: If I load up a Reason project that has a LOT going on (multiple FX, loads of samplers and synths all firing at once) - Reason has no problem handling it. I can set the card buffer down to down much lower with no issues.

The other odd thing: if I unplug the NI Komplete Audio 6 and just go default Mac Core Audio out of my 1/8" jack, it can run any of these projects in all three apps all the way down at 64 buffer size. (Ableton test tone runs clean at buffer 64 too)

SO. Is this a bad NI interface? Or is there perhaps an issue with my aging USB 3 ports on the MacBook Pro? (is there any way to do a diagnostic on the ports?)

NI Komplete Audio 6 Mk2

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Processor: 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Mem: 6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

Ableton Live 10 (10.1.42) (Latest update)

Adobe Audition 2022 (updated)

Reason 10.4.1d4 (build 10,700)(Stable channel)

Tagged:

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,578 Expert

What is your macOS version?

Hate to say since I have (and am) been a long time Ableton user but the performance problem does not surprise me. I personally don't have problems but have noted increase in CPU usage using the exact same projects on the exact same system for the last 10 years BUT on Windows the playing field is way more stable IMO than macOS. Seems as each new OS is released there are new quirks and performance issues between software and hardware and older systems seem to be more affected than newer ones. Theorists would suggest it's all a plan to force older systems out of the market.

I wouldn't think 2015 would be "that old" and should be able to run at a half decent pace. Also, USB ports don't simply "wear out" like a pair of socks so the age of the ports should not be a problem, tho things like an incorrect USB cable can be an issue.

Have you worked through the macOS tuning recommendations:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210296445-Mac-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

I'd start with killing every task that is running if possible and see if anything helps. Possibly you could also look at formatting your system back to scratch and starting again

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

If Reason works fine with KA6 MK2, it should not be interface or USB problem....

It looks more like Ableton problem interacting KA6. Maybe someone who has KA6 and uses Ableton on the same OS version might report, if he has similar problems....

• robraeo
    robraeo Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Monterey 12.2.1

@JesterMgee yeah I tuned it all to minimize all other processes etc, but the funny thing is right now while multi-tasking with just about every single major app open while at work (photoshop, lightroom, illustrator, CAD software, a few resource hungry Chrome/gmail tabs open etc), I'm running running my Ableton project in the background to test it and with the default system core audio coming out the 1/8" jack the project is butter smooth at 128 buffer, so this is most definitely not a an issue with my Mac or processor. Something seems fishy with my KA6 MK2 I think.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    edited March 2022

Something seems fishy with my KA6 MK2 I think.

It depends. Problem might be in Ableton, problem might be in KA6 driver/HW. If KA6 works fine with Reason, it cannot be totaly bad....

It looks like Ableton and KA6 do not understand each other because of some reason. Problem may be in Ableton as well as in KA6, or something in computer.

Probably best would be to open a ticket for technical support at NI.