Traktor,Ableton & Drum Machines

ermac4482
ermac4482 Member Posts: 7 Member

Hello

Has anyone ever successfully synced Ableton, Traktor and external drum machines all together. I know Traktor cannt be a slave but when I use Link it works great , problem is if I want to incorporate another Machine it has to be turned to "Ext" mode. I cannot for the life of me find any videos of people using all three , Ableton , Traktor and drum machines. I know Maschine can work with traktor but I am talking other drum machines,

Comments

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,621 mod

What other drum machines to you use? You can use Ableton Link to sync Traktor and Ableton and then sync other external hardware to Ableton.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Why not use link enabled groove machines? There are tons of them in iOS…

btw if you explain what you want to achieve maybe there’s a workaround.

• ermac4482

If you want to Sync External hardware to Ableton , then you have to change from Link to Ext mode, in turn losing sync with Traktor

• ermac4482
    edited March 2022

I want to use Ableton, Traktor and my Korg Electribe together. I think I may have found my only answer

hopefully I can do this and still use Traktor

• ermac4482

Thanks , it seems this is the only way to use Link and external hardware. I was thinking of getting the E-RM multi clock but Iam unsure if I will still be able to use link. I believe it can be used as an audio plugin . Then once it gets an audio signal you just hook up external hardware to the E-RM multiclock via midi cables. This could also MAYBE be a possibility but not sure.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

32.2.1 Setting Up Tempo Follower

To set an external audio input as a source for Tempo Follower, first open Live’s Link/Tempo/MIDI Preferences. In the Tempo Follower section, set the Input Channel (Ext. In) to the input on your audio interface that is connected to the source you wish to follow. For a drum kit, this might be a dedicated overhead microphone. For turntables, you might choose to use a record output or effects loop from a DJ mixer. Note that while Tempo Follower’s algorithm is optimized for use with audio signals that have a clear rhythm, you can also be creative and experiment with different sources.

Tempo Follower Settings in Live’s Preferences.

When the “Show Tempo Follower Toggle” switch is set to “Show”, you will see a “Follow” button appear in the Control Bar, alongside the other tempo-related parameters, at the left-hand side.

The Follow Button in the Control Bar.

Activating the “Follow” button will turn on Tempo Follower, and Live will begin listening to the configured audio source and interpreting its tempo. (Note: Tempo Follower does not run when the Follow button is hidden.)

When Tempo Follower cannot be connected to the audio input device channel specified in the Preferences, the feature is disabled and the Follow button will appear grayed out.

Note: Link, Tempo Follower, and External Sync are mutually exclusive; the Link and the External Sync switches are disabled when Tempo Follower is enabled. Live can still send MIDI clock information to external devices when Tempo Follower is enabled, but it cannot receive it.

Source: https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/synchronizing-with-link-tempo-follower-and-midi/