Battery Issue: Battery 4_info.nkx is missing under Prefs->Library-Factory

Vocalpoint
Vocalpoint Member Posts: 901 Guru
edited March 2022 in Battery 4

Noticed that at least a half dozen of my NI Expansions are missing a file called Battery 4_info.nkx.

When I go into Battery and click Edit-Preferences-Library and "Factory" - see several entries that have a strange folder icon preceding the Location path entry.

When I click on the icon - I get a dialog telling me that a file called Battery 4_info.nkx is missing and offers me several options to find it.

However - if I search my entire PC (three separate drives) - this file is nowhere to be found.

What exactly is this file and why do other Expansion libraries (in the Battery Library area) appear to be fine?

Cheers!

VP

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
    Answer ✓

It's a known issue, only cosmetic. This is what we advise users to do:

Are you able to load a kit from the expansions reporting a missing .nkx file?

Please apply this workaround:

When you do get the error from attempting to load it.

1) Select a Kit from the Browser.

2) Click on “Resolve Manually” > Point to the specified Folder.

3) Navigate to the relevant “Samples” folder within it and select it.

4) Click on the “Save As” option for the kit patch only.

5) Save it to the original file directory.

6) Opening the kit from the browser on subsequent occasions doesn’t then throw up the missing samples error.

However, In the Edit > Preferences > Library option the expansion packs kits still list the error of Battery 4_info.nkx missing.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

This has been brought up in another thread on the old forum I think, but there was no "definitive" answer given to what they are...I am curious as well!! I will say that the file not being available does not seem to have any ill affect, just kind of an annoyance for the OCD!!🤪

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,555 admin

Does removing a .plist file and reinstalling Battery 4 work for you? 🤔

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,624 mod
    Answer ✓

It's a known issue, only cosmetic. This is what we advise users to do:

Are you able to load a kit from the expansions reporting a missing .nkx file?

Please apply this workaround:

When you do get the error from attempting to load it.

1) Select a Kit from the Browser.

2) Click on “Resolve Manually” > Point to the specified Folder.

3) Navigate to the relevant “Samples” folder within it and select it.

4) Click on the “Save As” option for the kit patch only.

5) Save it to the original file directory.

6) Opening the kit from the browser on subsequent occasions doesn’t then throw up the missing samples error.

However, In the Edit > Preferences > Library option the expansion packs kits still list the error of Battery 4_info.nkx missing.

• rapdup
    rapdup Member Posts: 1 Member

What are the chances of getting this bug fixed? Granted it doesn't seem to affect behavior, but it appears to be a known problem that is many years old—if the old forum thread is any indication.

It does cause user confusion; I spent time trying to resolve it and then searching for a fix which landed me here. It also detracts from the perception of quality of NI products. (Kind of a "broken windows" thing)

Please 😬

• Paul A Gore
    Paul A Gore Member Posts: 8 Member

Related issue but new forms of pain.

I too get dozens and dozens of these folder errors and all have missing battery 4_info file. I can live with them being there..some of them are there in the list but the kits are still present in the Factory Kits list.

However, there are 14 packs that are present in the list with the dreaded folder that ARE NOT REPRESENTED in the Factor Kits list or the user kit list. They are listed below (along with the number of kits that are associated with each pack (for a total of 681 missing kits).

Decoded forms 33

Deep matter 52

Elastic Thump 52

Halcyon Sky 55

Lilac Glare 59

London Grit 48

Lucid Mission 50

Molten Veil 47

Neon Drive 50

Queensbridge Story 61

Rising Crescent 47

Sasha 26

Solar Breeze 42

Velvet Lounge 59

I can verify that these kits are present in subdirectories in my music drive D:Native Instruments folder right along with other packs (in their own subdirectories under the same root folder). This makes NO SENSE. Why are some packs found and others are not in the same root folder.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled battery

I've tried above

"4) Click on the “Save As” option for the kit patch only.

5) Save it to the original file directory."

That save as doesn't show up for me on a windows platform. I'm at my wits end. Would love to have those 681 missing kits which I suspect I paid for when I upgraded to Komplete 14 ULTIMATE.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Paul

• PapaStef
    PapaStef Member Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2023

Implementing a fix for this really should be prioritized ASAP. People have paid a lot of money for this software and it's fair to expect that major bugs like this are being addressed in a timely manner. This isn't a cosmetic issue, it's a basic functionality issue that's stopping a lot of folks from getting full use out of their expansion packs. Expansions are a huge part of Komplete ULTIMATE -- which happens to be THE most expensive software product on offer by NI.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I'm also not getting any Preview sounds when browsing through Battery's Library panel. I tested this out on the VSTi and VST3i versions of Battery and the problem exists in both. Komplete Kontrol is an unsuitable replacement as it has a few problems, which also have no obvious fixes. Some examples: (1) KK is missing a huge chunk of the content from Battery + expansions packs -- there are only 3 kicks showing up for example, (2) every kit is duplicated in KK's library browser (1 that works, 1 that doesn't).

Please invest some resources into improving Battery's UX overall. It's a great library with tons of useful content. If you make it usable, a lot of long time, loyal NI customers happy will be excited. But right now, it's just incredibly frustrating to work with.

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Battery itself does not offer "Kit Previews" only Sample Previews... previews are only available in KK and Maschine.

• orkanoid
    orkanoid Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

Has this issue been resolved? I am having the same problem, none of the kits from the expansions show up in the Battery 4 browser.

• rogercollege
    rogercollege Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Same issue. Any help?