Recording long finger drumming sessions...

Lord JHouse
Lord JHouse Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Hello all,

I would like to start recording my finger drumming sessions (usually 3-5 hours long). While I'm aware that I can record directly back into my MacBook Pro (2012) running Maschine, I assume there will be issues (e.g. glitching, latency) the longer the recording goes. Hopefully I'm wrong.

So here's my question: Can you recommend an ideal way to record lengthy sessions without problems, with high quality audio?

Ultimately, I would love to record everything into the Maschine DAW, but if that's an issue, I'm open to recording in Ableton. I'm currently in the market for an older Mac Pro desktop with proper specs and space for long, live recordings.

Setup: I'm currently running the Maschine MK3 and the s88 MK2 through the Scarlett 4i4 and into my MBP.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod
    Answer ✓

You're using MIDI to trigger SW anyway, it's all digital, there's zero quality difference.

Patterns have a max length of 256 Bars, at 120 BPM that's 8+ hours, Clip's don't seem to have a limit afaik so nothing stops you from doing what you need.

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

When you're jamming onto Maschine you're usually recording MIDI, not audio. And that in itself is hardly as tasking as you may think.

• Lord JHouse

Okay, very good to know. Thanks.

Preferably, I would rather record MIDI for editing purposes, but I've heard from producers I respect that recording audio sounds better. The quality of the overall sound is my main priority, then being able to edit somewhat easy. If I can accomplish the same with MIDI though, I'll take that route.

Peace.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod
    Answer ✓

You're using MIDI to trigger SW anyway, it's all digital, there's zero quality difference.

Patterns have a max length of 256 Bars, at 120 BPM that's 8+ hours, Clip's don't seem to have a limit afaik so nothing stops you from doing what you need.

• Lord JHouse

Really glad I reached out to this forum before purchasing another computer. From what I'm reading in this thread, it seems like my current setup with satisfy my needs. Really glad because, ultimately, I want to work within the Maschine DAW for many reasons.

I will start recording my sessions and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks a lot gents!