Recording external audio separately

Dog Voodoo
Dog Voodoo Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Hi all,

So i have a drum group on pad A playing drums from maschine mk3.

I want to sample some external keyboards audio into maschine on pad B without recording the drums that are playing from pad A.

Is this possible?

Would an audio interface such as Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen do this?

Or is it not possible?

Basically I want to jam along to Maschine and record my external instrument (keyboard) as a sample without also recording the drums provided by Maschine.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

Ey @Dog Voodoo

I think you meant to say group A vs. pad A?

I want to sample some external keyboards audio into maschine on pad B without recording the drums that are playing from pad A.

Is this possible?

So, first of all keep in mind that the Maschine Mk3 controller also has an onboard audio interface which should be more than enough to do the actual recording. Of course it has its limitations and a dedicated audio interface can't hurt, but you don't really need it for this job.

But yeah, this should be easily doable and you don't have to worry about Maschine recording its own sounds, as long as you make sure to set the right input channels:

So here I loaded the "Bamboo Kit" + patterns onto group A, I hit play so that Maschine is now generating audio. If you select the sampling section (see the small highlight on the left side) then you get to see the above. Now, I highlighted the main section; notice how I set 'Monitor' to on (arrow on the right)? Also notice the input section (left arrow). Even though Maschine is playing the sampling does not pick up any audio. That's because there isn't any, there's only outgoing audio.

As such: as long as you make sure to use the right input channel for your sampling, and the right output channel for your percussion (normally this is set to go through the group & master channels) then there shouldn't be any issue.

Hope this can help!

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

this should work, if you setup everything correct in the sampler or audio track, input to ext and so on. Any decent asio audiointerface can do the job, the 8i6 is good, that´s exactly my audio interface and i´m really happy with it. But for your task and 2i2 would also work. Do you need any help with the setup? Or do you just want to know if it works?

Uwe

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro
    Answer ✓

Ey @Dog Voodoo

I think you meant to say group A vs. pad A?

Is this possible?

So, first of all keep in mind that the Maschine Mk3 controller also has an onboard audio interface which should be more than enough to do the actual recording. Of course it has its limitations and a dedicated audio interface can't hurt, but you don't really need it for this job.

But yeah, this should be easily doable and you don't have to worry about Maschine recording its own sounds, as long as you make sure to set the right input channels:

So here I loaded the "Bamboo Kit" + patterns onto group A, I hit play so that Maschine is now generating audio. If you select the sampling section (see the small highlight on the left side) then you get to see the above. Now, I highlighted the main section; notice how I set 'Monitor' to on (arrow on the right)? Also notice the input section (left arrow). Even though Maschine is playing the sampling does not pick up any audio. That's because there isn't any, there's only outgoing audio.

As such: as long as you make sure to use the right input channel for your sampling, and the right output channel for your percussion (normally this is set to go through the group & master channels) then there shouldn't be any issue.

Hope this can help!

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod
    Answer ✓

Hello,

this should work, if you setup everything correct in the sampler or audio track, input to ext and so on. Any decent asio audiointerface can do the job, the 8i6 is good, that´s exactly my audio interface and i´m really happy with it. But for your task and 2i2 would also work. Do you need any help with the setup? Or do you just want to know if it works?

Uwe

• Dog Voodoo

Thank you, I shall read this in detail and get back to you, thanks for the rapid responses

• Dog Voodoo

Thanks Guys I managed to work it out after getting rather stressed. It works!!!

Your explanations got me on the right track.

Thank you for the detailed replies, I've saved the image as reference. Very hlepful.

Time for a beer!