How To Create A Mix Of Mono And Stereo Outputs In Logic

Muleskinner
Muleskinner Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

Hi,

I am trying to use Kontakt with multiple outputs in Logic, specifically for Abbey Road Drummer but it's a more general issue I'm having.

I've read the manual and can use the output window OK to set up batches of stereo or mono outputs fine but I run into an issue when I try and mix the two.

The problem is that the plugin output when assigning new output channels always starts from channel 1 and there doesn't appear to be any way of changing this. So if I assign 8 stereo outs they get assigned to plugin outputs 1-16 as expected, but if I then assign eight mono outs they get assigned to plugin outputs 1-8 rather than outputs 17-24 and I can't reassign them.

Is it possible to change the plugin output once a channel has been created or is there some other way of getting a mixture of stereo and mono out assigned correctly?

cheers

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    Answer ✓

You need to start from channel 17 in the dropdown menu there, of course, then tick Ascending output assignment (which I'm sure you already have set). Disregard the channel output names shown in that menu, just count 16 menu entries and pick 17th one.

Answers

• EvilDragon

When you're adding mono outputs disable the "Delete existing channels before creating new ones" checkbox, and they will be appended to the end.

• Muleskinner

Thanks - I am doing that but they're not added at the end, well they are kind of, but any batch of new channels always starts at plugin output 1, ie new channel but duplicating an existing output.

• EvilDragon
    Answer ✓

You need to start from channel 17 in the dropdown menu there, of course, then tick Ascending output assignment (which I'm sure you already have set). Disregard the channel output names shown in that menu, just count 16 menu entries and pick 17th one.

• Muleskinner

Thanks - that's helpful.

I have it working now, the thing that was really confusing me was/is that that dropdown menu doesn't seem to refresh. Yesterday It only ever had two outputs in there and some 'surround' stuff, even though I tried reinstantiating the plugin instance and even closing the Logic project and reopening after changing the config. Today it seems to have refreshed properly giving me the additional outputs so I can actually start at 17!

Have saved that as a default now so hopefully I don't have to deal with this again!