Using different automation on each pattern

kabece
kabece Member Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2022 in Maschine

Hi,

Is it possible to record automation that's different in each of the patterns in the group?

It seems that no matter what I try, as soon as I touch the knob in Pattern 3, Pattern 1 and 2 are changed too.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey @kabece

If you go in your Maschine preferences, make sure to untick that box:

Does that make a difference ?

• kabece

Thanks for the reply - I made sure it was unchecked but it's still the same.

Even when I don't duplicate the pattern, but create a new one in the same group, once I change the parameter (e.g. Filter Cutoff Macro in Monark) it's changed for all the patterns in that group.

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do exactly?

Parameter values are global, so of course if you change a parameter value in pattern one, the same value will persist, regardless of which pattern you are in. If you want the patterns to have differing parameter values, you need to record such value changes into the patterns via automation.

• kabece

I've got Pattern 1 which records Filter Cutoff Macro automation in Monark, let's say it goes from 0 to 27 and then I've got another pattern but I don't want it to again go from 0 to 27, I want it to just play at 27.

So are you saying that the only way to achieve that is to set the automation of that parameter to a steady 27 for the duration of the whole pattern? Is there no way of making a pattern unique?

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert
    edited March 2022

Modulation (not automation!) is relative to the current settings of your plugin — Monark Filter Cutoff in your case. Which means that if you change the sound while not recording parameter changes, the changed sound will be the base for Modulation once you change back to the Pattern which contains the recorded Modulation.

• kabece

What's the difference between modulation and automation?

So, as far as I understand, the only way to achieve what I want is to do what @tetsuneko said in the post above? In the 2nd pattern I'm supposed to Record -> hold down the Auto button -> and hold the cutoff at the level I want it to stay for the whole duration of that pattern right? And then Pattern 1 and Pattern 2 will just have different modulations?

• ozon

@kabece wrote:

What's the difference between modulation and automation?

In general, the term automation is used if the changes of a parameter are recorded as absolute values, while the term modulation is used if a parameter is changed relative to its initial value over time. In Maschine, parameter changes are recorded as relative values, hence modulation.

A Pattern without modulation should play the sound as it was initially loaded or left off from the last Pattern with modulation. No need to record a „no change modulation“. But you might want to check at which value the Pattern with modulation leaves the parameter value and adjust there.

• kabece

Thanks a lot for the explanation!

Can you elaborate on how to do that: "But you might want to check at which value the Pattern with modulation leaves the parameter value and adjust there"?

On Pattern 1 the value is modulated 0 to 27, but then in Pattern 2 the value is being modulated again (from 0 to 27). Also, no matter which pattern I select, there's always the AUTO dot displayed next to the parameter?

• ozon

Checking the value as you are already doing.

If the modulation from 0 to 27 keeps going or is repeated although you change to a Pattern without recorded modulation, something is definitely wrong… and I currently don’t have any idea what.

It seems as if the modulation is actually coming from a different source than the Pattern — which makes no sense… do you have any other gear connected/running which us capable to record and pkay back MIDI CC messages?

• kabece

No, it's just the Maschine, nothing connected to it. I think it's because I'm duplicating the pattern and it copies over the Modulation as well. Any way to duplicate just the notes of the pattern?

I did follow your advice and just changed the Modulation in the copied pattern to be static at a certain value and I achieved what I wanted through that. Now I have a "build-up" pattern and a static pattern.

It'd be great if it was possible to make a pattern unique and just change the parameters of the sound, independently of other patterns, I feel like that's how it's done in DAWs.

• ozon

Great you were able to make it work with two Patterns.

Duplicating a Pattern does copy the Modulation as well, indeed. I quite like that because it allows me to change notes while keeping the filter movement.

Anyway, there is a way to remove Modulation from a Pattern but I forgot how. I just remember that if you do it the wrong way, it deletes all Modulation from all Patterns! (which is quite an odd „feature“, a bug IMO)

• ozon
    edited March 2022

From the Manual:

Erasing Automation

If you want to discard the modulation you recorded and try again:

▶ Hold ERASE and again turn the Knob you used to record modulation to delete all modulation events for this parameter.

You can also delete all modulation events for all parameters of the channel:

▶ Press SHIFT + Pad 10 (Clear Auto) to delete all modulation for all parameters of the focused Sound or Group.

So, SHIFT + Pad 10 is the way to go.

BTW, I think the reason why the term automation is used in some places is because it can be viewed as „automation of modulation“.

• kabece

Awesome, thank you so much for your help @ozon , I appreciate it :)