Midi keyboard not playing most instruments when using Kontakt

Richard Adkins
Richard Adkins Member Posts: 25 Member
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? Some of the instruments play via my midi keyboard, but not all. There is no difference between them, I can tell. I'm just changing instruments to try each one out and some will work and others won't. To hear the instrument, I have to use the small keyboard under the instrument in Kontakt. Using my midi keyboard for all of them would be much preferred. :-)

For example, with the Middle East instruments, I can load the Melodic Ney and Oud both into the Instrument Navigator and the Oud works on my midi keyboard, but the Ney does not. Always.

When I load in the KONTAKT Factory Library 2-Acoustic Pianos/ Grand Piano, it also won't play (from my midi keyboard) and weirdest yet, although playing my keyboard won't make the piano play the keys on screen depress and stay stuck down.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://gyazo.com/043b3f477313b09f9e0ac17ab2036533

I recently bought KOMPLETE 13 and am working my way through hearing each instrument. I'm looking forward to upgrading to KOMPLETE 13 Ultimate soon! Great fun!!

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,315 mod
    Answer ✓

As @EvilDragon said, @Richard Adkins you should set your MIDI keyboard to Channel 1. Most Kontakt instruments will load on MIDI channel 1 by default, most of Reaktor instruments too.

Answers

• EAGS
    EAGS Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Range of the instrument within the range of the keys you're using to trigger sounds?

Also noticed sometimes I have to delete and reload a sound when it's the last one left in a pile.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited March 2022

To which MIDI channel is your MIDI keyboard set? I reckon that would be the answer here. Make sure MIDI channel of the instruments you're loading is set the same.

• Richard Adkins

Range of the instrument within the range of the keys you're using to trigger sounds?

< yes

Also noticed sometimes I have to delete and reload a sound when it's the last one left in a pile.

<Yikes!! Reloading may be possible, if I haven't deleted the zip files they came in, deleting all the many many of them would be a nightmare. (36,599 wav files in my audio directory within 3153 subfolders).

To which MIDI channel is your MIDI keyboard set? I reckon that would be the answer here. Make sure MIDI channel of the instruments you're loading is set the same.

<Omni and, it works for some instruments, just not all. If it was set to the wrong midi channel, nothing w/should work.?

😯

• Richard Adkins

Is there a safe procedure to delete Kontakt and reinstall it? I'm hoping that may solve my problem. This is worrying me quite a bit now, as the vast majority, BUT NOT ALL, sounds refuse to be played via my midi keyboard.

After that, if it doesn't work, I'll begin reinstalling the sounds themselves from Komplete 13.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @Richard Adkins what happens if you change the MIDI channel to 1 on your keyboard?

Btw maybe worth testing your keyboard with a midi monitor tool as well to verify what MIDI channel the keys are transmitting on: How to Monitor the Input of a MIDI Controller

• Richard Adkins

Running the MIDI-OX showed no errors.

Changing the MIDI channel had no effect. Same results. Only using Omni or channel 3 worked. All other channels gave no response at all.

The odd thing is, when using Ney instrument from the Middle East collection, it works exactly as it should. Everything works from my midi keyboard. Using Oud from the same collection, the only thing that happens is, moving the mod wheel gets echoed on screen, but I get no response on screen or audibly from keyboard use.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Some screenshots from MIDI-OX and Kontakt itself would help perhaps.

But indeed you should set your MIDI controller to be on channel 1 by default and stay there. Then you can reroute MIDI channels in your DAW to play other instruments that you load into a single Kontakt instance, that get assigned to other MIDI channels sequentially starting from channel 1.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hi @Jeremy_NI can you help us? 🙏

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,315 mod
    Answer ✓

As @EvilDragon said, @Richard Adkins you should set your MIDI keyboard to Channel 1. Most Kontakt instruments will load on MIDI channel 1 by default, most of Reaktor instruments too.