Traktor 3.5.2 on M1 Apple Silicon & Monterey Performance Glitch

DJDL
DJDL Member Posts: 61 Helper
edited January 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Hello,

I am experiencing a problem with Traktor Pro 3.5.2, which I recently started using on an M1 Pro Mac with the latest version of Monterey. The problem is that whenever I switch from Traktor to another app, for example Chrome, Mixed in Key, OBS or even the OS Desktop, and I do any editing or perform any action on that other App, the sound in Traktor skips briefly, like a 1 second audio drop. It's like if the system resources were saturated, but I know this not to be the case because it happens while doing simple stuff and with no more than 2-3 apps open. I even noticed it while other apps were open in the background and Traktor was my main window. System memory is plenty, disk space too, and this M1 Pro processor is way more powerful than my previous Intel based Macbook, which did not suffer from this glitch. It is constant, very annoying and embarrassing in live situations. After looking at older posts about Traktor on M1 Macs, I tried the suggested solution and disabled Multicore Processor Support, but this did not help at all. Audio clipping still occurs regularly. I'd appreciate any suggestions or even anyone commenting if they are facing this or any similar issues as well with the new silicon and OS. Perhaps a fix is in the works, either from NI or Apple. HW used: S4 MK3. Thanks!

Comments

• c0nsul
    c0nsul Member Posts: 295 Pro
    edited January 2022

NI is aware that Traktor has problems with the new Apple SoCs (M1 Pro and M1 Max). And we are all waiting for a new beta. As far as I know, the M1 SoCs from 2020 are not affected.

In the meantime, disabling multi core processing is a work around for some issues. But that means we are running Traktor on a single core. This might cause problems when using other apps at the same time.

Also, there are still issues with Monterey, like memory leaks and problems with Chrome.

As owners of the new MacbookPro cannot downgrade from Monterey, we have to wait until each side (NI and Apple) comes up with fixes.

When it comes to a live gig, I still use my loyal 2013 MacbookPro with Catalina and the recent version of Traktor.

• Hugo
    Hugo Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

When will your instrument samples work with OS Monterey?

• DJDL

Thanks for your helpful comment. I could still go back to my old Intel Mac, but most of my work and preparation is now being done on the much smoother M1 Pro Mac. Any ideas or suggestions on how to keep a single, up to date Collection and Music Library between 2 Macs, without overwriting the entire Library and NI Folder every time I switch back and forth between computers? I own Carbon Copy Cloner, and wonder if it can be used to selectively back up just these folders and files to an external drive and then just automatically update the files that have been added or modified from one system to the next. Kinda delicate situation, and could result in loss of work if donde carelessly. But this whole previous comment, is a separate issue worthy of another post. Anyway, thanks again for your comment.

• josephy
    josephy Member Posts: 2 Member

I am now in a very similar situation and believe that if you add your entire Traktor collection and settings folder to the external drive and then, inside the File Management options, set the "Root Dir" to the external folder, it should function in the way we want.

• Tim Slawik
    Tim Slawik Member Posts: 12 Member

Any new Updates? I need to get run my new MacBook :(

• c0nsul

You can run Traktor. Just disable the multi core processing.

• Tim Slawik

Yes, but is this possible with a safe run for the CPU then? I need it for club nights with external mixing and Traktor A 10. Any Experience? Because with only one processor core it‘s too slowly i think?

and i need rosetta 2 also right? And all the other steps like disable multicore or only this?

thank you

• c0nsul

I had no problems after deactivating multi core processing.

I use an old VCI 400 EGE as midi controller and sound interface.

Yes, Rosetta2 is needed, but your Mac will do this automatically.

I observed, that I could activate multi core processing again after Traktor ran multiple times without multi core processing. I don't have an explanation for this. But now, I run Traktor on my 2021 14" MacbookPro (M1Pro) with multi core processing. 🤷‍♂️

• Tim Slawik

Thank you for the information :) I am just a little bit scared to put multicore on again because I don't want that Traktor shut down if I am doing a live gig in a club :D So if it runs without mulitcore it's ok me (for now!)

there was no lag? or some problems with the load Display? without multicore support?

• c0nsul

@Tim Slawik

I had no problems using Traktor on a single core. The new apple silicon is very powerful.

If you want to know, if your setup will run fine without multi core processing, just plug in your controller and sound interface and play with it a couple of hours in advance of your gig. If problems occur, we can try to solve them.

• Tim Slawik

Thanks for your help. It worked for me this weekend. Just a few loading trouble when i put a new track in traktor. But there was no freeze or music problems in the evening.

• DJDL
    edited March 2022

A little update on this topic.

MBP 14" M1 Pro, Kontrol S4 MK3, Monterey 12.2.1., TP 3.5.2

Yesterday I was mixing on 3 channels: Traktor Decks A & B, plus Spotify on Deck D via my Mac's audio out port into the S4's Line In, which was set to Live Input in TP. The audio hiccups or drop outs were constant throughout the night. Even when I focused more on playing straight from my Spotify playlists and was not controlling anything in Traktor except for having the S4's Deck D channel open for Spotify, doing simple stuff in Spotify or simply receiving a Whatsapp message which I also had running in the background would result in a brief split-second audio drop out at least half of the time. It is even more frequent while switching focus from Traktor to Spotify or to any other app. As a "funny/not so funny for me" side note, I was using dj lights that were set to Sound Active mode, so for each audio hiccup, the whole room's lighting reacted accordingly, making the heart stopping moment even more painful.

I am no programmer, but it feels like some sort of interference between apps' system resources bandwidth management (if that even exists), very specific to Traktor on Apple's new M1 Pro/Max silicon architecture.

I can't wait for the NI team to address this critical M1 Pro/Max issue, as well as the browser lists flashing nuisance, cause for the most part, everything else seems to be ok. Even the Flushing Background Tasks bug has not happened to me in a least 50 + gigs, which is really comforting!

I guess this latest hardware is the way forward for many professionals depending on Apple machines and Traktor for their work and performance, so addressing any issues should be at the top of NI's priority list.

Fingers crossed for an update soon!