Why does Shift + Channel/MIDI not switch Maschine+ to MIDI controller mode?

Jon Watte
Jon Watte Member Posts: 77 Advisor
edited March 2022 in Maschine

I have a Maschine+, and I've previously been able to use it as a MIDI controller by pressing the SHIFT + Channel/Midi buttons.

However, I recently updated to the latest software version, and now this doesn't work. It just behaves as if I pressed Channel/MIDI without shift (except a disabled "save" button shows up on function button 4 when I press SHIFT.)

How can I get Maschine+ into USB MIDI controller mode again?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Jon Watte
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

And the answer is that the instructions aren't quite right -- you must first go to settings -> system -> controller mode, and THEN you can turn it to MIDI mode.

The documentation says this:

MASCHINE PLUS SHIFT + CHANNEL (MIDI)

The URL for that reference: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210264145-How-to-Switch-Your-Native-Instruments-Controller-to-MIDI-Mode

A second hit on google says this:

1. Make sure that MASCHINE is currently set to MIDI Mode. In MIDI Mode, the left display will indicate the name of the current TEMPLATE. Switch to MIDI mode by pressing SHIFT + CONTROL on the hardware.

The URL for THAT reference is:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210263965-How-to-Use-the-MASCHINE-Hardware-as-a-MIDI-Controller-for-TRAKTOR

... and I'm almost certain I've run into this before, and forgotten about it, and complained about the documentation being incomplete before. Probably over a year ago. Too bad that fixing something as simple as adding a few words to a web page, can't happen in that time frame.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

There's no MIDI Mode in Standalone Mode for the M+, that's why you have to switch it in the settings.

You have a point, maybe there should be a *note in that article about as well as a mention in the manual.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,106 admin

@Jeremy_NI Can you check this with our KB / documentation team ?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Yes, @Jon Watte, correct, the information on the Knowledge Base Article you shared is not complete, it should get addressed soon, but because there is more than just a combination of buttons, there is a dedicated Knowledge Base article just for the Maschine Plus and it's Controller/MIDI mode: How to Use MASCHINE PLUS as a Controller

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

@Jon Watte

A second hit on google says this:

Make sure that MASCHINE is currently set to MIDI Mode. In MIDI Mode, the left display will indicate the name of the current TEMPLATE. Switch to MIDI mode by pressing SHIFT + CONTROL on the hardware.

The URL for THAT reference is:

the link is not there, could you post it again so we get a chance to correct the information on the page you mention ?

• Jon Watte

Thanks for the answer! It seems the forum ate the link the last time -- it's the article about using Traktor.

I edited the post to include that link too, hopefully it stays this time!