The old forum becomes read-only 🕊

2»

Comments

• CH7
    CH7 Member Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2022

reminds me of the old Roland forum and the tons of useful info we lost.

• CubaseThomas
    CubaseThomas Member Posts: 31 Member

Yes, that would be very helpful! NI: Please migrate "NKS user library" and the "[RELEASE] 3rd Party VST NKS Preset Libraries for Komplete \ Maschine" to the new forum.... years of helpful post would be lost otherwise! ⚠️

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,105 admin

The permission system is a nightmare because of the way it was set-up over the past 15 years but you should still be able to read, load attachments, read profile. Let me know what you see exactly and I can check again.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,105 admin

I'll just say it here again just to be safe but we're not planning to just delete the old forum.

• ehdyn
    ehdyn Member Posts: 26 Helper

Yeah, Paule got me sorted out.. counterintuitively I had to log out in order to read the general discussion, building w/ reaktor, etc..

Glad to hear it won't just be deleted.. if it ever comes to that let me know and I'd be happy to pay to have the data archived properly and kept available.

• Eight4aWish
    Eight4aWish Member Posts: 53 Helper
    edited January 2022

Looks like the migration might not happen. Do you want to kick off a fresh thread with the same name? I am keen to ask a question.

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited January 2022

@Matt @ NI wrote:

of the way it was set-up over the past 15 years but you

No it's older than you think. Example: David Coffin (RIP 2021) was a member since 2002

• starcorp
    starcorp Member Posts: 20 Member

in the old forum there was also the quick link of the respective Forum site on the End of the page.

now its only at the beginning of a page. i have to jump up if i want to go back at the main site of my forum, say maschine for example.

• Chrisjordan
    Chrisjordan Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    edited January 2022

The former forum also had a fast link to the relevant Forum site at the bottom of the page.

It's just at the start of a page currently. If I want to return to the main site check of my forum, say Maschine, I have to get up.

• nico5
    nico5 Member Posts: 49 Helper

... and that reminds me of how much more got wiped out with the demise of the Yahoo groups - good for NI to keep control over their own forums!

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 491 Pro

My comment will surely make some people feverish with shivers, and others will want to outright spit rocks at me, but I've gotta be honest with you all. We're humans. As humans, we generate a lot of useless hot air with our words, spoken, written, and pictoralized. I offer this post as evidence!

Even the ruins of Pompeii have the 79AD version of "Kilroy was here" and "Call so-and-so for a good time".

The amount of truly useful knowledge from the old forum is probably just a wisp of the whole; a mere sliver of the petateragigabytes that that forum takes up. I say keep it around in Read-Only mode for 2 years. Or 3 if it makes you feel better. Or 5 if somebody actually plans to categorize, index, and capture the genome of it all!

But one day, nobody'll go back there because THIS forum will be the source for info. I'm not an archaeologist, so I ain't going back there ever again, starting...last week!

Observation: From birth, we humans treat every little word, every little sentiment, every pass of gas oh so preciously. It's not!

I for one fully intend to NEVER GO BACK THERE, NOT EVEN FOR SEARCHES. "What?" you say...but we have this massive library of knowledge! Fine, then YOU search it. YOU save it. YOU import it into a MySQL database, and YOU keep it shiny and dusted. I'm moving on, and I'll ask my questions new!

Today it's a day in February, 2022. Does anybody here really think that the ONLY source for some obscure technique in Reaktor or Battery is going to be found ONLY in the old forum? Or that it's there now but can't be remade into something new for today's NI users? And how long are we going to keep the Kore forum around, huh?

Puh-lease, there are probably a half-dozen You-Tube tutorials on that technique, with one big difference: Old content won't tell a newbie anything about the NEW tricks that people have invented since that first forum post was made during the 2000s.

I've also got another suggestion: This is an excellent opportunity for people to make their OWN tutorial content and post it here in the new forums. Or make a video of it and use that opportunity to teach the reader/view about a new technique that didn't exist in 2005. Because you know, it's fricking 2022 now. 😉

I challenge all of us to rethink the old forums and stop clinging to them as if they are music-making's version of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Be realistic. And have the heart of a teacher.

We can continue to treat the old forums as a dry, static collection of knowledge. We're good at that, if you see how many times the average forum has somebody scolding a newbie for not "searching the forums before asking your knave's questions". Or we can move our knowledge into the 2020s, using modern methods and modern tools for paying that knowledge forward. This is a great opportunity for us to do something new. We just have to choose it.

I'm not opposed to keeping the old forums around. It's probably very cheap to do. But it cheeses me off when we don't take obvious opportunities to change our ways beyond what we were doing in the middle ages.

Anyway, thanks for hearing me out on this.🙂 It's okay to delete this post, but we must keep it around for 10 years so that all newbies to the forum can genuflect at its wisdom...😏

Next week, Matt@NI will teach us all how to use quill and sheep's blood to write our wisdoms on leather skins! And after that, I can regale you with tales about how ancient kaveman and kavewoman used to beat on skins stretched over logs just to communicate with their in-laws across impassable terrain! Stay tuned if you want to be able to move farther away from your in-laws! 🤣

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,660 mod

Thanks, this is the best thing i read all day. 😆

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@BIF said:

Even the ruins of Pompeii have the 79AD version of "Kilroy was here" and "Call so-and-so for a good time".

This is an excellent opportunity for people to make their OWN tutorial content and post it here in the new forums. Or make a video of it and use that opportunity to teach the reader/view about a new technique that didn't exist in 2005. Because you know, it's fricking 2022 now. 😉

This thread took a weird turn 🤣 Though couldn't agree more with this part here.

However, you forgot about one thing: SEO. What would kaveman and kavewoman do if we don't show up on google search, because all the content and keywords on the old forum are wiped out?

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 290 Pro

@BIF

I've also got another suggestion: This is an excellent opportunity for people to make their OWN tutorial content and post it here in the new forums. Or make a video of it and use that opportunity to teach the reader/view about a new technique that didn't exist in 2005. Because you know, it's fricking 2022 now.

Whilst this is good if people actually do it, I can't see how keeping the old forum round till it outlives its usefulness, is hurting anyone.

There are a lot of things where the old forum is possibly one of the few places you might get close to the answer you're looking for.

This discussion has been closed.