S88 MK2 power on/off hardware question

mikemurraymusic
mikemurraymusic Member Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Thanks. Note: Read no further if 1) these answers are already in the user guide that frustrates you 2) this question should be in another part of the community - and that frustrates you... 3) questions in general - frustrate you...

As much as I love my S88, one thing I don't care for too much is the location of the power button (on the backplane). My keyboard slides out on a tray beneath a table. I'm sure there's logic behind the design decision but... My questions are these: 1) Are there any known guidelines regarding how long the S Series keyboards can be left powered on? 2) is there any known way to power on/down the keyboard while bypassing the power button safely (powered USB or something) and 3) Is there a lighting "dimmer" by any chance?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,592 Expert
    Answer ✓

1) not really. As with anything7, the more you leave it powered on the more likely it will be that eventually something will fail. Likely that the screens may become dimmed or burnt in, the led's will start to either dim, become slightly inconsistent or eventually burn out. Could take a year, could take 10 years, could never happen. But if you power it off its less likely to happen prematurely

2) Not really. I have a power adapter connected to my keyboard which connects to a switch panel in my desk I use to switch off any part of my setup I do not want powered on (computer monitors, audio monitor speakers, audio interface, midi devices etc. I also have a "master off" switch that I switch off so I don't have to access the power switched of gear, as most gear the power switch is on the back. I then have my computer set to disable USB power when switched off because unlike almost every other USB device I have, NI hardware cannot switch itself off when no USB signal. I too also have a slideout draw for my keyboard but I find I can reach under it fine to switch it off.

3) nope, you would think there would be, or even the ability to switch it off but nope. If you just power from USB it dimms more than powered from power pack so that's all you can do.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Answer ✓

1) I would add. Also switching on and off wears down the electronic gear. One has to find sort of compromise between minimasing on-time and minimasing power-on-off cycles.

2) I have it similarly like Jester. I also use remote controlled outlet, so that one does not have cables on the table or does not have to bend under the table.

And also I have powered USB hub which has on off for every USB. So even if computer runs, I may have given gear powered off, if I wish.

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

Concerning the power switch. I do not think there is much, if any, difference between switch on appliance and central switch. I use that remote to switch on/off mains of my expensive audio monitors....

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,592 Expert
    Answer ✓

1) not really. As with anything7, the more you leave it powered on the more likely it will be that eventually something will fail. Likely that the screens may become dimmed or burnt in, the led's will start to either dim, become slightly inconsistent or eventually burn out. Could take a year, could take 10 years, could never happen. But if you power it off its less likely to happen prematurely

2) Not really. I have a power adapter connected to my keyboard which connects to a switch panel in my desk I use to switch off any part of my setup I do not want powered on (computer monitors, audio monitor speakers, audio interface, midi devices etc. I also have a "master off" switch that I switch off so I don't have to access the power switched of gear, as most gear the power switch is on the back. I then have my computer set to disable USB power when switched off because unlike almost every other USB device I have, NI hardware cannot switch itself off when no USB signal. I too also have a slideout draw for my keyboard but I find I can reach under it fine to switch it off.

3) nope, you would think there would be, or even the ability to switch it off but nope. If you just power from USB it dimms more than powered from power pack so that's all you can do.

• mikemurraymusic
    mikemurraymusic Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2022

JesterMgee

Figured as much - thanks though… So on the electrical components and remote power switch question. Might a remote power switch like the one suggested by Kubrak (thanks again) potentially introduce more of a power on "jolt" to sensitive electronics compared to a given built-in power switch specifically designed and/or tuned for the task?

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

1) I would add. Also switching on and off wears down the electronic gear. One has to find sort of compromise between minimasing on-time and minimasing power-on-off cycles.

2) I have it similarly like Jester. I also use remote controlled outlet, so that one does not have cables on the table or does not have to bend under the table.

And also I have powered USB hub which has on off for every USB. So even if computer runs, I may have given gear powered off, if I wish.

• Kubrak
    Answer ✓

Concerning the power switch. I do not think there is much, if any, difference between switch on appliance and central switch. I use that remote to switch on/off mains of my expensive audio monitors....