No output from Korg keyboard in Kontakt

Keyplayer
Keyplayer Member Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

Greetings All,

This is my 1st post here. I'm having difficulty getting Kontakt Komplete Samples to work properly with my Korg 01-W Pro Keyboard/Controller. My DAW is Nuendo 11.

When I load a library into the VSTi section of Nuendo and touch the keyboard with the cursor, I get a nice robust sound from whatever sample is being played. However, when I play the same patch from my keyboard, I get, at best a very weak sound or, more typically NO SOUND AT ALL.

I can see the keys in Kontakt moving when I play the 01-W Pro and I can see the signal indicator light up. But I get nothing or almost nothing in output. I have never had this experience with any other library. So, I'm really confused as to what could be the cause of this.

Can anyone here tell me how to get the same sound from my keyboard that I get from the cursor?

Thanks for your time.

Tagged:

Comments

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

This sounds like your KB is sending a lower velocity to the instrument and is not sending the same velocity as the K6 Virtual Keyboard when you click it. You can test this out by moving the mouse pointer "Up" the key which will then trigger a lower velocity note.

Not familiar with your KB, so no idea if it has a velocity sensitivity control or Fixed velocity capabilities (which basically sends one velocity thus killing any dynamics) You would need to consult your KB Manual...

• Keyplayer
    edited March 2022

Thanks for your prompt reply. But there's more to it going on. Kontakt won't play back programmed MIDI parts either. So, the entire performance is written and in the DAW. I put ANY other Library (EWQL/GigaStudio/Garratan/Halion or any of my rack synths, including the 01-W Pro keyboard) as input and that MIDI performance will play back. But as soon as I put in Kontakt, I get silence!

You can see the MIDI activity light jump up and down, showing healthy signal. You can see the keys in Kontakt moving, accordingly to the MIDI part being played. I have it set to ALL MIDI for the input status. But no sound comes from the Kontakt Sampler UNLESS I play a sound on the keyboard from the cursor. That's the only way I get sound.

I did find one exception by routing the Korg keyboard directly to the Kontakt input window. Then I could play the keyboard and get sound. Not sure WHY that option worked. But it's irrelevant, I'd be using the keyboard to program the performance and then Kontakt has to play back the performance. So the issue remains.

SOMETHING IN THE ROUTING somewhere has to be turned off! But I can't figure out what that might be.🤔

• Blindeddie
    edited March 2022

What DAW are you using? Never mind, missed Nuendo in the first thread. You definitely have a routing issue!

Let me look for something...

• Blindeddie

can you open the output section of Kontakt and then take a screen shot and post it?

• Keyplayer

It's working now. Well, sort of. I was shutting down when I saw your reply. So I fired up a blank session and plugged Kontakt into the 1st MIDI channel and it worked. It played the MIDI performance.😮

What was different? I was on channel one. In my project the performance was on channel 10. So I reopened my project and turned channel 10 to channel 1 and it played (WTH?). Next, I tried ANY CHANNEL setting. Nothing. It will only play from channel 1 now. This is nuts!

• Blindeddie
    edited March 2022

Ok, Kontak is a rack based VSTi, so by default when you load an instrument, (Noire in your case) it assigns it to receive on midi channel 1 only. Load a second instrument and it is assigned to midi channel 2 only. You can adjust the instrument to receive on any channel you like by clicking the”i” next to the camera (Snapshot) icon to the right of the library name. Then on the bottom left of the instrument header, you will see Midi Ch. [A] 1 click that and select the midi channel you want to receive on. You can also set it to Omni, but that would cause the instrument to be triggered by any midi track assigned to it… For further info on the subject, refer to the manual!

• Keyplayer

I actually did go to the MIDI Ch. [A] and select channel 10 IN THE SOURCE SECTION. I don't understand why that didn't give me the same result. But, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help on this! Clearly, this forum will prove to be a valuable resource.