Why does the "SWITCH" retrigger gate inputs on envelope generators.

Studiowaves
Studiowaves Member Posts: 451 Advisor

Any time the switch is used I get a blast of any notes that have been previously played and the keys have been released. I have 5 switches and regardless of which one is used this always happens. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Studiowaves
    Answer ✓

Never mind, I fixed it with a modulation macro. Apparently the switches were sending an event from a button attached to the gate module that processes incoming midi velocities. So that event was sending out a gate event that managed to re-trigger the envelope generators. Tricky but I was lucky to find this when I discovered that switching the standard button it also did it. So that button is now connected to a modulation macro and it's value is not passed on until a note on allows it thru.

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

There are much more primary elements using the GRE.

Lemme look for an overview: Global Reset Events in Reaktor - Donald Philips aka salamanderanagram

This tutorial explains what Global Reset Events are, what causes them, and how to avoid some of the most common bugs associated with them.

Answers

• Studiowaves
    Answer ✓

Never mind, I fixed it with a modulation macro. Apparently the switches were sending an event from a button attached to the gate module that processes incoming midi velocities. So that event was sending out a gate event that managed to re-trigger the envelope generators. Tricky but I was lucky to find this when I discovered that switching the standard button it also did it. So that button is now connected to a modulation macro and it's value is not passed on until a note on allows it thru.

• Paule
    edited March 2022

Al, using a switch it sends GRE, global reset event. Exept kamedin aka Laureano Lopez can capture the GRE out of use like in test 1.1ens.

• Studiowaves

Thanks Paul, that's what I was thinking. I think the switch actually re-compiles the structure when it disconnects and reconnects , then it must send a GRE to start things back up. The strange thing is that it's somewhat different from stopping the master clock and restarting it. I have a default midi volume attached to the low input of a merge and the midi controller on the top. During startup with the master clock the default value for midi goes thru the merge, however the switch somehow manages to reset the midi back to the same value from the midi controller that has stored the midi. So I was happy about that. Anyway here's how I fixed the problem using a latch. The x input was getting a GRE , so I put a latch there to not allow the x value thru until a new midi note event was sent into the 1 input. Similar to what Laureano did.

The midi value during startup from the master clock works as shown below. It's the midi init macro.

Externally the controller is attached to the top of the merge.

Above is the Vol macro

So, as you can see the switch let's the controller thru the merge, possibly the 63.5 value was also sent first but it's unknown. I guess what I'm thinking is the switch re sends all knobs and switches, controller values as a global reset event but doesn't start fresh like turning the clock of then on. Hard to say.

• Paule
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

There are much more primary elements using the GRE.

Lemme look for an overview: Global Reset Events in Reaktor - Donald Philips aka salamanderanagram

This tutorial explains what Global Reset Events are, what causes them, and how to avoid some of the most common bugs associated with them.

• Studiowaves
    edited March 2022

Thanks Paule, I figured out a way to turn off all the notes during the switch. It's better that hearing a loud blast. All I did was put a zero constant outside of a core cell next to the gate. Inside the core both inputs go straight to a merge. The zero is on the bottom so anytime I press the switch the merge sends a zero velocity. From then on the gate runs as normal. Pretty simple, Is there a way to simulate the sustain pedal, I think it's built into the system along with the hold pedal. If I could access it and turn the sustain on using IC receive linked to the switch the notes will stay on during the switch transition. I can't think of any other way, but it's actually not that big of a deal as I rarely use the switch anyway.

• Studiowaves

Are you ok with this war going on. I know Germany was counting on natural gas from Russia for energy. Nuclear plants are getting really advanced and pose little threat with the molten fluoride salt fast reactor. The reactor core heats salt and the temp can run power generators. It the core has a problem and melts down, the salt just spills out into a holding tank. The salt is at atmospheric pressure so there is no way it can blow. Pretty cool energy source. But I wanted to thank you again for pointing out the to and from voice. That's really cool because there is no other way to reduce the number of voices in mono mode. You can't interface mono with poly but with the to module it only sends out events to one of the voices. I'm still working on the fm12 thing and was trying to reduce the cpu, when I got into the mono voice with a pitch slew it was a real problem. Every tiny pitch change was sending out 24 voices. If you remember the volume was real loud and you told me about it, this was the same thing with the pitch that ran up the cpu sending events to all 24 voices. I was trying to figure out a way to change the number of voices and all kinds of stupid things. I they had not made the to voice module, I was about ready to use the switch and do some serious rewiring. lol Thanks again for that, Let me know what's happening if the war gets out of hand and spreads across Europe, I know where Giligans island is and have a few free passes. Take it easy ..