Komplete Audio 2 - Headphone and outs very different quality

theblindchaos
theblindchaos Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Other Software & Hardware

Hi, there may be a straight forward reason for this of which I'm just not aware. I've noticed that the sound is very different when I run out of the headphone jack on the front from the output on the back.

I tested using same daw track and same headphones (ATH 50.)

The sound from the back output seems more muffled, even perhaps a little 'distant' and the fidelity definitely seems lower.

I do not understand how this can be both playing the same track. Can anyone lend some insight on the specifics of the back output?

If it might make a difference I'm on a Macbook and Ableton.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• theblindchaos
    Answer ✓

I believe I found the issue - the outputs on the back are designed for powered speakers, etc.

• valerianmengsk
    valerianmengsk Member Posts: 20 Member
    Answer ✓

Those Main outputs are likely high-impedance, when headphones need zero impedance (or as close to as possible). That causes minor electrical issues that result in what you heard. They are also balanced, if I'm not mistaken, so you only get one channel at a time no matter which you plug into. The headphone output is made specifically for headphones, of course, and results in no issues.

Answers

• theblindchaos
    Answer ✓

I believe I found the issue - the outputs on the back are designed for powered speakers, etc.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Glad everything is all sorted out and thanks for leaving a solution for others to see!

• valerianmengsk
    valerianmengsk Member Posts: 20 Member
    Answer ✓

Those Main outputs are likely high-impedance, when headphones need zero impedance (or as close to as possible). That causes minor electrical issues that result in what you heard. They are also balanced, if I'm not mistaken, so you only get one channel at a time no matter which you plug into. The headphone output is made specifically for headphones, of course, and results in no issues.