Work-around for the "Not Enough Space on Mac HDD"!

bobkatsionis
bobkatsionis Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited March 2022 in Native Access

Hello fellow musicians,

I'm not sure if it has been posted before, but today I finally found the solution to a problem that is terrifying everyone on a 128GB System HD iMac/Macbook etc.

It's not about changing the install location, the "Downloaded" folder, or installing the Libraries Separately. Sure this helps but here the problem was even with single 10GB libraries that require double space to be extracted and then installed. You know what I'm talking about.

I tried to upgrade the Flash NVME Storage on my iMac but it wasn't possible plus a lot of other things had to be done (Time-Machine-Backup, Merged disks to a Fusion Drive losing all the references etc)

So this morning I woke up and the solution was right in front of my eyes:

😈 YOU CAN DO IT ON ANOTHER COMPUTER! 😈

I was lucky enough to have a second iMac for Video Editing which is using Fusion Disk, so I had like 300GBs empty.

So, I took my external drive from my Music Studio, (a 2TB Samsung T7 SSD) on which I have installed all the "smallest" libraries, plugged it in the "other" iMac, downloaded and installed Native Access, logged in, plugged my KOMPLETE HDs (or you can just download them, they just take A LOT MORE TIME), then went back with my T7 to my studio, plugged it in, opened Native Access, logged in and on the "Installed" tab, next to the library, clicked on the "Locate" magnifying glass icon and...VOILA! And since KOMPLETE is using your password to log in to the library and "see" what you have, then everything is legit.

So, if you have a friend or even better a fellow musician with an iMac which is using a Fusion Drive, or just has the space needed...you're good to go.

I'm SO happy today! I can finally use the overpriced libraries I actually bought with the Collector's Edition, rather than the useless bulk of Maschine Beats and Loops I never wanted,yet I paid for. (That's something the people at Kontakt need to fix, it's very unfair)

Hope I helped.

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

Yeah, we all have a few macs just lying round :)

couldn’t you simply set the temp folder in KK to be an external drive?

I use a PC for production so when my hdd gets low on space I just buy a bigger one and replace, no need for complications of needing a second machine or friends to help :)

• bobkatsionis
    bobkatsionis Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Nope, you can't, or at least an average-knowledge user can't.

Also, there is no option within Kontakt's "Preferences" menu to "set Temp Folder",UNFORTUNATELY.

It's only asking you to choose Installation, Download and App drives.

Also, you can NOT upgrade the nVme Memory on an iMac, or at least without using some third-party adapter from china, which also requires taking a huge risk by opening your iMac (it's not like opening a PC tower at all) and of course re-installing everything etc while losing your machine's guarantee.

So, for people who have the SAME configuration like me and face the exact same problem (and from what I saw, they are a lot out there!) going to another person and get this done in 1 hour, yes, it's a lot less complicated!

• teq0
    teq0 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

If you read the documentation it clearly says that even when you set the content and download folders to an external drive it still actually downloads and unpacks on the system drive, so you still need enough space on your main disk.

This is really stupid and would be (or should be) trivial to fix in the code. Given how much pain it causes people I don't understand why NI don't fix it. I mean, what's the point of setting the downloads folder to another drive if it doesn't use for downloads?