deleting Select library

ronnie_cessna
ronnie_cessna Member Posts: 80 Member

so i reinstalled Komplete Select on to an external hard drive and was wondering if it is safe to go ahead and delete the old library from my laptop, and what would be the best way to do that?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert
    Answer ✓

It should be safe. Even because in case of libraries you didn’t have to reinstall them, you could also have just moved them into the external hard drive and then relocate their position in Native Access

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert
    Answer ✓

If you have reinstalled and it’s working from the new location, just right-click the old library and delete. That is all that should be needed.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

It will offer a repair option but you have to manually select that, worst case you just do a reinstall, not like it will open up a black hole and suck everything in. I think you can fumble through.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert
    Answer ✓

It should be safe. Even because in case of libraries you didn’t have to reinstall them, you could also have just moved them into the external hard drive and then relocate their position in Native Access

• ronnie_cessna

I'm on windows and I've never deleted anything this big. any tips?

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

If you have reinstalled and it’s working from the new location, just right-click the old library and delete. That is all that should be needed.

• ronnie_cessna

I switched to windows. how do I locate the files? I found some under program files, but I don't think that was it.

• JesterMgee

No that will not be library files, they will be wherever you installed them...

By default here are the install locations:

You want to delete the "Content Location" data so in that location, if you find any NI content you can delete that.

What I suggest if unsure is first create a "New Folder" in that location then move it into that folder. Launch your NI plugins (Kontakt, Battery, Massive etc) and make sure you can still load libraries. If so, the new content is being referenced and the old stuff in that location can be deleted

However if you set a custom path when you first installed that will be up to you to locate where it is.

• ronnie_cessna

1) So I unplugged my external and this is what I see.

2) When I search file explorer for native instruments.

The reason I'm doing this is to free up space on my laptop.

• JesterMgee

So you would need to check folders in the locations I suggested with the screenshot (ProgramData) and see if it contains large libraries of files. If you just right-click a folder in the list there and select "Properties" it will read out the folder size, if it has large GB then it probably has library files in it.

Ideally, what you should have done iis use the Add/Remove program feature of Windows first and uninstalled the product then reinstall on the external drive.

• ronnie_cessna

you're right about add/remove. its been a while.

• ronnie_cessna

If I go through and delete something I shouldn't, will Native Access detect and repair it?

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

It will offer a repair option but you have to manually select that, worst case you just do a reinstall, not like it will open up a black hole and suck everything in. I think you can fumble through.