Scratching on Maschine

AxMusic
AxMusic Member Posts: 117 Member

Hi all, brand new to all things Traktor…….

I wanted to know how to record scratches from Traktor s3 on a maschine beat?

I know I should open both programs and link them via an abelton link… However do I also need to physically link connect the maschine, and Traktor controllers?

And would the set up look like this…

Accapelas in deck A & the beat from maschine in Deck B and then record the scratches?

Then would I export the whole track from Traktor?

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

Physically linking the devices’ audio interfaces is a solution

Or you can find a software solution (programs like Virtual cable or selecting Traktor controller as audio interface for Maschine software) to record “internally” on the computer without needing physical cables

• AxMusic

Virtual cable?

I have a program called loopback… is that something similar?

Is it also possible to connect this to ones own audio interface..(in my case Komplete audio 6 mk2)?

• LostInFoundation

Yes, there are many programs offering virtual routing from one program to another.

Using your Audio 6 is of course possible. Traktor controller audio interface for outputting Traktor, cables from the controller to Audio 6 in, Audio 6 selected as the interface for Maschine

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2023

Ableton Link? What for? That's to sync playback, BPM and beat-match 2 things together, you don't really need that to record scratching...

Usually, people just drop beat already arranged and exported in a DAW, connect the mixer (S3) outputs into the audio interface, arm a track to receive input for it and record the 'solo' scratching... The same way you would record a singer, or instrument player.

I'm guessing you might need multiple takes until you're happy, compare different takes, etc... If you have both things in Traktor you will also record both, then there's no level adjusting or mixing of any kind.

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Can Maschine host vst?

• AxMusic

Ok, I watched a video on connecting the two (Maschine & Traktor) and assumed it was a needed to record scratches between the two programs..

Got you.. so normally scratches get treated as one would vocals on top of a beat.

I originally thought you would feed the master of the maschine (by which I mean a real time version) into deck D of Traktor and scratches on deck A and then record.

here is the video i mentioned

https://youtu.be/EID_3HZM5YI

• LostInFoundation

Of course it can. But the OP wants to use Traktor which has no VST.

The Scratch Track 3 you are suggesting could be an alternative. But routing Traktor audio to Maschine can be done if he really wants to use Traktor

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

If Maschine can work with automation then that vst becomes an instrument itself. No need for destructive recording…

• LostInFoundation

Yes…this is an advantage using it over Traktor 👍🏼

• D-One
    edited May 2023

@AxMusic

so normally scratches get treated as one would vocals on top of a beat.

Yes, exactly. No need for a bunch of complications just to record some scratch.

You can record directly to Maschine if you want, maybe with Clips? I wouldn't recommend it tho, it's 10x more annoying and limited to edit

• AxMusic

Ok, and which would be a better way of doing things.. connecting tractor to the dedicated audio interface? Or direct into maschine..

And what cable would I use for that?

• D-One
    edited May 2023

Not sure what you mean by "direct into Maschine"? you got an MK3 with an interface? In that case, the answer would still be 'into your interface'. (Fill in your profile details so people don't have to ask your HW and OS)

Well, have a look at the Outs of the S3 and the inputs of your MK3/Interface. Usually, it will be dual XLR to 1/4"Jack; or dual RCA to 1/4"Jack.

I highlighted Output instead of Input, but you get the point, it's 1/4" regardless.

If you plan on recording directly to Maschine SW then watch Jeff's video on recording, he talks about vocals but it applies to anything. I'd just use a DAW tbh, but it's up to you.

• AxMusic

Appreciate the answer, thanks

Yes I have a maschine mk3 with an interface, but i also have a komplete audio 6.

Thanks I will check out the video

And to your last point; about recording in traktor you said you can’t really adjust the levels & or mix.. unless you do everything in a DAW.

Generally what would the level of the scratches be relative to the arranged beat? If I had the beat at a level of -6db for example.. is there a standard level at which the scratches should be? i.e (beat at -6db & scratches at say -8db)

• D-One
    edited May 2023

And to your last point; about recording in traktor you said you can’t really adjust the levels & or mix.. unless you do everything in a DAW.

Generally what would the level of the scratches be relative to the arranged beat? If I had the beat at a level of -6db for example.. is there a standard level at which the scratches should be? i.e (beat at -6db & scratches at say -8db)

Yes into a DAW or anything else you might like, as long as you have multi-tracking possibilities... You will need that, scratching really fast makes the volume louder for example, while slow is the other way around, so you need mixing. (compression, eq, etc..)

You can't really blindly follow fixed numbers like that, it depends on the source, something can be at -6db but be heavily limited/compressed and sound way louder than something at -2db; for many content those numbers should work OK tho.

Ending up with the summing Master at between -3db and -6db is the classical recommendation, this is because traditionally it gives the Mastering Engineer some headroom to boost/cut frequencies and do his job. If you want to follow this recommendation (I personally don't unless I am actually sending masters to be professionally Mastered) then use whatever db values you need to hit that general Master target and use your own discretion to make sure the scratch is loud enough and can be heard clearly over the beat.

For me the right level balance of the two is way more important than whatever the numbers end up being, within reason of course.

• AxMusic

Thanks, and I guess my last question is with the two tracks (beat & cuts)

is it a good idea to add compression to “glue” them together? Or just export the tracks as one track raw?