Super 8 vs Super 8 R2?

shenrei
shenrei Member Posts: 6 Member

Noticed I have both Super 8 R2 installed and Super 8 available for installation. Anyone know the difference? I thought Super 8 came with Komplete 13 back then but I can't really remember.

Best Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Answer ✓

The newer one is an Reaktor instrument. The same as in the beginning of Super 8. The other was an extract as vsti.

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    Answer ✓

The newer one is an Reaktor instrument. The same as in the beginning of Super 8. The other was an extract as vsti.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited May 2023

Ooooops…once refreshed the page I see that Monochrome already answered 👍🏼

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert

And now after another refresh I see that also Paule did answer…is the forum having some kind of hiccups? Those answers weren’t there before…

• diamondgeeza
    diamondgeeza Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Is there anyway to load the old super 8 standalone presets into the reaktor ensemble? they seem to have a different file extension?

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor
    edited November 2023

The newer one is the VST3. The REAKTOR-based Super 8 is actually the old one. It is missing a ton of presets that are in the R2 release (the VST3 version). And honestly - for me - the presets are probably the only reason to care about it, since most DAWs have perfectly usable VA Synths bundled.

Super 8 (REAKTOR Ensemble): 350+ Presets

Super 8 R2 (VST3 Plug-in): 550+ Presets

It's also less "convenient" to use as a REAKTOR Ensemble, since you have to host it within REAKTOR 6 or Komplete Kontrol (which hosts REAKTOR 6 to host the Ensemble...). This also means it can be "indirectly broken" where the instrument is broken by virtue of the host platform being broken - after OS or DAW updates, etc.

If on Windows, I would bias heavily toward the Super 8 R2 release (VST3).

On macOS, the REAKTOR Ensemble is pretty standard since the VST3 is not M1-Native and will force you to run a lot of DAWs under Rosetta 2 to access it.

If you're still on an Intel Mac, though, you can ignore the Ensemble version and use the VST3 Release.

I think Apple Silicon probably played a big role in them deciding not to maintain the VST3 version. They didn't want to invest in updating it for Apple Silicon, so they simply rolled it back to Super 8 R1.

Unless you're on macOS, I can't see any benefits to using the old (REAKTOR-based) version of Super 8 - or reason to do so.

This is one of those weird cases where a company actually rolled a product back to the "worse iteration" simply because it's "cheaper than updating the better iteration."