The plug-in named “Kontakt 5” isn’t available on your system

davemacp
davemacp Member Posts: 27 Member
edited February 2022 in Kontakt

I'm just going through some older projects in logic and I'm getting the message above when I try to open them. I thought projects using kontakt 5 automatically updated to kontakt 6 which I've had installed since release?

My specs - m1 mac mini, big sur latest, logic latest, all NI up to date

Comments

• davemacp
    edited February 2022

Update: I reinstalled kontakt 5 and can now open old projects, but still, shouldn't K5 projects auto-update?

I'm also getting this a lot in komplete kontrol. I'm assuming it's an exclamation mark meaning it can't find a missing plug, but it doesn't give me a clue as to what that plug may be? I've tried opening the project on my old mac and I'm getting the same issue. Is that what would happen if some kontakt library paths were changed? My kontakt libraries sit on external drives so may have been changed at some point? I've had the issue where kontakt itself will prompt me to relocate missing files if I open an old project, but komplete kontrol isnt alerting me to anything so I have no idea whether it's looking for kontakt or a plugin or...?

• davemacp
    edited February 2022

Ok, I just ran a test and can confirm the kk icon above isnt related to changes in kontakt library paths. It looks like I used a plugin which I no longer have installed for whatever reason. Moral of the story is, don't host your synths in komplete kontrol because one day you might need to open an old project and if you dont have something installed, kk will do its best to leave you completely in the dark 🤣

I'd still be interested in hearing any suggestions regarding the kontakt 5 > 6 issue.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited February 2022

If I understood correctly, you would like Kontakt to automatically switch from 5 to 6 and recall the patch you were onto in your old projects? That seems technically not possible in my opinion, especially for major version changes like 5 to 6 where many plugin components differ.

Fact is, it worked again when you reinstalled Kontakt 5, which means the file path and data in your project apply only to this version of Kontakt.

• davemacp

Its my understanding that projects which use kontakt 5 automatically open with kontakt 6 when you install that and uninstall 5. Am I wrong?

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    edited February 2022

@Nico_NI This is actually a feature of AU plugin format, however it's been broken on Apple's side for quite some time now...

NI had a knowledgebase article about this here, which is now pulled and not accessible (because Apple broke the feature).

• davemacp

Ahh damn, thanks for that. Sooooo....what's everyone else doing about this, just leaving 5 installed and hoping it works forever? Going through and bouncing out thousands of tracks? Adding duplicate tracks with K6 inserted and matching all the settings etc per track? All three of these options hurt my brain.

@EvilDragon Have you ever come across the exclamation icon in kk that I posted above? I'm assuming it must mean its looking for a plug I used to have installed. Do you know if it possible to work out the name of the missing plug?

• EvilDragon

I would indeed suggest to keep K5 installed and freeze your machine in time (don't update the OS), if those projects are of utmost importance to you. Plus as time allows, start porting them to K6 instances manually. Might also try and nudge Apple about it but that feels like moving a mountain...

I haven't come across that situation in KK, so unfortunately there's nothing I can suggest w.r.t. that.

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin

Thanks for clarifying, didn't know about that! A shame they dropped this feature.

• EvilDragon
    edited February 2022

They didn't drop it, they broke it. Kontakt team is breathing down their necks for some time but to no avail...

• davemacp

So the issue definitely sits with apple? It seems all other plugs use their updated versions as expected, its just kontakt that's having issues.

• EvilDragon

That's what I've been told.

• davemacp

Damn. Ok, I've messaged apple about it, for whatever good it'll do. I'd urge all other kontakt / logic users to do the same if you havent already.