Native Instruments new brand identity

Comments

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Novation has been working on Launchpad app (for iOS) and Ampify Studio (for desktop) and integration should be thight. Also Launch controllers are well integrated with Ableton and lately with Logic (macOS and let’s hope also for the iPad version sooner or later)

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

With all due respect but I'm not feeling any vibes from this. Instead I'm getting the uncanning idea that some "promotor" got the best of you guys and sold you a lot of "whoo ha" and you went along with it.

The new NI logo I'm looking at right now in the upper left corner? Sorry to say, really, but it's forgettable. It doesn't stand out to me at all, in fact.. I can't help wonder who ever thought this to be a good idea?

The old logo was clear and simple: NI, and everyone within the music industry has a good idea what that could stand for. But now... true story: I just send it to my gf over WhatsApp, she's not as much involved with audio as I am but she's perfectly aware of my Maschine and some of the brands I work with (Ableton, NI (duh!) she even recognizes names like Max and Reaktor).

I'll just copy / paste our interaction without names but with permission:

(after receiving just the logo with "look at this!")

"Whats that supposed to be?"

"Doesn't this ring any bells? Some audio companies are re-doing their style"

"ok.. but no. what is this?"

"something with an N?"

"messed up N that but, I see an N?"

"You're getting close. I'll give you a hint: Action Strikes"

"Yussss, taiko tension! We should play some together next weekend! ^.^ but I still don't get it"

"wait! u said companies... u mean that company behind ur drumpad or so?"

"now I see, is that supposed to be NI or so? srsly?! it looks confusing!"

Yah, like I said with all due respect but I don't think this is an improvement. Eventually people will catch up I suppose but I personally predict that many will also completely overlook the obvious. Seriously: if I hadn't found this thread I honestly wouldn't have recognized the new logo "just like that" either. When I started this post I was already on the forum for 5 or so minutes (I recall because I'm downloading the latest Live update (new instrument, exciting!!)) but I hadn't noticed the new logo yet, I completely glossed over it.

So if you would have pasted me this logo before I read this thread I most likely wouldn't have recognized NI in there either. I mean, it doesn't even use the same color style anymore and I have to agree with my gf (though I am obviously biased 💕), but you could also easily see just an N in there.

Do with that as you will, but I don't think this will do well for brand recognition.

For the record: I don't dislike the new style, but I also don't consider it an improvement, simply because it doesn't stand out anymore.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 491 Pro

@D-One : Hey, thanks for the explanation AND for the alternative actions. Yes, I don't think the dev is correct on that. We're NOT all just 8 years old. Taking away the option for making changes is just a form of taking away our agency. Not a fan of THAT. Thanks again!

• BIF

@Vagus "I'm all for assessing a brand and updating over time - I actively encourage my teams to design and build their identities (I'm in marketing)."

Me too, and I'm an IT manager. You always have to build your brand and then defend it from bad things. And yes, occasionally you will need to update/refresh the brandage over time.

Sorry to be another of the bad guys, but we should only be honest with these things.

It does not make you a "bad guy" if you don't like something, ESPECIALLY since we were asked for our opinions.

The good news is that this is just iconography that "AI" messed up. It's not like they are eliminating a product (yet). The bad news is the same as it always is with this company. We are never asked for our input until AFTER it's too late for them to make any changes to their decision. The factories are probably already pressing and silk-screening "AI" into new Maschine and Komplete Kontrol chassis, to be delivered in October or November.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,113 Expert
    edited May 2023

Did something for fun - mind you, I'm not a professional 😋

Font is called "Mattone" and entirely free & open source: https://www.collletttivo.it/

Only downside is that it only has one weight...

• Hubbabub
    Hubbabub Member Posts: 9 Newcomer

I'm sorry but that font looks like someone took a serious font, squashed it and then sprinkled some comic sans on top just to be sPeCiAL.

• dctoe
    dctoe Member Posts: 4 Member

It's probably time to update a little, although I'm not sure what difference it makes. When I go looking for a new guitar, I'm not looking at Fender's logo while I'm listening to how my potential new Strat sounds. Just stayin.'

But if I could change anything, it would be that R. It should either be solid like the other letters (not jagged), or loose and modern like the new logo.

• hi-d-ho-man
    hi-d-ho-man Member Posts: 16 Helper

I don’t care much for it

• m.bernbrich
    m.bernbrich Member Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2023

I like the old icon/logo very much - this convex/concave shape is a twist to me and makes it recognisable.

The new AI logo - umm sorry, is so less iconic, looks like a worm, just line elements or simplified text. And the new font for KOMPLETE/KONTAKT is too much off for me (look at the 'K', 'R').

Who knows: Are you going to change the name soon to Artificial Instruments ? 😉

Anyway, I like you for the Awesome Instruments you create - this counts most.

😀

(I wish there had been a logo competition)

• BIF

It's probably time to update a little, although I'm not sure what difference it makes. When I go looking for a new guitar, I'm not looking at Fender's logo while I'm listening to how my potential new Strat sounds. Just stayin.'

My last Strat wasn't even a Fender. It was a partscaster, partly because it was gorgeous. I still need to find a good luthier who can fix the internals for the whammybar. And maybe put a locking thingie on at the nut.

But if I could change anything, it would be that R. It should either be solid like the other letters (not jagged), or loose and modern like the new logo.

I've been having some fun with that R earlier in the thread. By the way, he's not an R and his name is Peter.

Come on in, the water is warm and there's room for a lot more humor! 😄

• m.bernbrich
    m.bernbrich Member Posts: 10 Member

I like the old icon/logo very much - this convex/concave shape is a twist to me and makes it recognisable.

The new AI logo - umm sorry, is so less iconic, looks like a worm, just line elements or simplified text. And the new font for Banner/KOMPLETE/KONTAKT is too much off for me (look at the 'K', 'R', '|\/|')

Who knows: Are you going to change the name soon to Artificial Instruments ? 😉

Anyway, I like you for the Awesome Instruments you create - this counts most.

😀

(I wish there had been a logo competition)

• KRP
    KRP Member Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2023

To be honest, I'm quite disappointed with the new logo and font. Most of all, it seems like a regression in the overall design level. It doesn't look neither cool, stylish or elegant. Just a bit (a lot) outdated. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Compared to how well-executed the graphic design is on e.g. the Play Series instruments, how can anyone at NI vouch for this new design without feeling a bit embarrassed?

I know it may sound a bit harsh, but you asked what we thought, and I'm really puzzled by your choices.

• DoverBeach
    DoverBeach Member Posts: 48 Helper

I wouldn't want to be in the designer's shoes and read this discussion. I believe you should inform him/her that many of the comments are influenced by customer frustration regarding the current state of Maschine.