Audio interface - GR5 and stereo output

user90
user90 Member Posts: 14 Member

Hi,

At present I plug in my electric guitar which outputs mono to Line-In. I don't know how come but my Guitar Rig 5 on my Windows 10 desktop outputs whatever I play thru both speakers L + R. I have relatively little knowledge about in-depth sound settings.

I am about to buy a basic Audio Interface that can take in mic & Line. I won't be using Mic at all.

Will GR5 produce guitar output from both speakers when Audio Interface is used?

Thanks.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• user90
    Answer ✓

BTW there's a typo error in my post.

I meant to say TRS pins as Tip Ring & Sleeve (Not Trim for T)

and @Sunborn you are right. When I set the Output R to Not Connected, I hear only from L so it's L in and only L out. So it's clear that GR5 is routing mono channel to both L & R. Thanks.

I hope the same way it works when I connect an Audio interface.

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn Member Posts: 2,241 Expert

The difference between monophonic (mono) and stereophonic (stereo) sound is the number of channels used to record and playback audio. Mono signals are recorded and played back using a single audio channel, while stereo sounds are recorded and played back using two audio channels.

It has nothing to do with speakers! If you connect 10 speakers to your system, then the Mono signal will be played by all 10 speakers. But it will be still monophonic.

• user90

Basically my question is when I plug in I plug in to only L but when I hear I hear from both L + R.

How is this possible? Is GR5 doing something?

Consider it as Mono played by both speakers but speakers are TRS (Trim Ring Sleeve) connected to Line-Out but Guitar in is only TS.

Hope my question is clear may be the term stereo shouldn't have been used. Thanks.

• Sunborn

What do you mean you "plug in to only L"?

What soundcard do you use?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert
    edited May 2023

@user90

I think that in most cases mono input is in stereoimage placed to the center. Unless user sets it differently. Generally mono input is treated so that the same signal goes to L and R channels. But one may change it and move the mono source as far L/R as desired.

If you use only one channel of stereo input it is placed either L or R depending which input channel you have used.

• user90
    edited May 2023

Please see this image. Line-In has Left + Right + GND. 3 Pin TRS. But Guitar output is mono only L.

So why do I hear sound from both the speakers L + R. Is GR5 manipulating the sound in such a way that it outputs input Left (L) to both L + R at output?

I have also used another sim called Guitar FX BOX 2.6 it also does the same thing. I hear output on both L + R speakers.

So will it behave the same way with Audio Interface? Even if Guitar output is Mono will GR5 process audio interface on both L + R?

Hope my question is clear. English is not my first language. Hope I tried my best to explain it. Thanks a lot.

• Sunborn
    edited May 2023

Your image states the obvious! Indeed your Input is on Left channel, but your Output is on both channels! So of course you hear it on both speakers.

Put your right output channel to "None" (-not connected-).

• user90
    edited May 2023

@Sunborn Thanks for your input. However I never set it that way. This is what GR5 has given as default and I prefer it that way so that if I mix to mp3 in GR5 the output (let it be mono single channel) is on both L + R sides.

So if I use Audio Interface going forward will I achieve the same thing? i.e. The input on L but output on both L + R. That's how I would like it to be and that's the context behind asking this question.

Else if I record in GR5 (I am a total newbie, don't use DAW as of now) I will have to use some other apps to duplicate the track to R channel as well. May be Audacity!

Thanks again.

• Sunborn

😳 ...yeah, whatever... 🦄 good luck

• user90
    Answer ✓

BTW there's a typo error in my post.

I meant to say TRS pins as Tip Ring & Sleeve (Not Trim for T)

and @Sunborn you are right. When I set the Output R to Not Connected, I hear only from L so it's L in and only L out. So it's clear that GR5 is routing mono channel to both L & R. Thanks.

I hope the same way it works when I connect an Audio interface.