How do you hook up Maschine MK3 and Komplete Kontrol S88?

Waynejones253
Waynejones253 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited January 2022 in Maschine

Okay, so I have a Maschine mk3 and a KK S88, I also have several hardware synths such as the Jupiter X, Fantom, TD3, Akai MPC, TR8S, and a Minimoog clone. I’m using ProTools to track, but need a couple pointers on how to hook all these pieces of gear up to get them talking to each other. Getting audio routed to ProTools is the easy part.

How do you hook up Maschine and the KK, both use USB or do I hook up the KK into Maschine via MIDI. I see tons of videos of both working together, but no one covers how you hook up both together and having them work in tandem.

Since Maschine only has a MIDI Out, it sounds like I’m going to need a powered Thru Box. Is that my best bet since I also plan to add my Ensoniq Mirage and my TX802 along with the possibility of expanding out.

ideas, thoughts, diagrams of how to get these Al talking are much welcomed.

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Both Maschine and Keyboard are connected to the computer Via USB.

Maschine has both Midi in and out connectors on the back, so you would hook up an external Kb/synth to those ports. Not sure of the midi ports available on the external gear so not sure if you can “Daisy Chain” any of them. If that option is not available, you will need a multi out Midi interface, here is a link.

https://www.laoperaring.com/midi-interface/

Note that in order to route the audio of multiple external devices simultaneously you will need an Audio interface that has the corresponding number available inputs (you never mentioned what kind of interface you use, so cannot comment further on that), or use an external mixer to combine the outs to a single input. Hope that helps a bit!

you should consult the manuals for your external gear to determine the midi routing options on each in regards to daisy chaining

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Both Maschine and Keyboard are connected to the computer Via USB.

Maschine has both Midi in and out connectors on the back, so you would hook up an external Kb/synth to those ports. Not sure of the midi ports available on the external gear so not sure if you can “Daisy Chain” any of them. If that option is not available, you will need a multi out Midi interface, here is a link.

https://www.laoperaring.com/midi-interface/

Note that in order to route the audio of multiple external devices simultaneously you will need an Audio interface that has the corresponding number available inputs (you never mentioned what kind of interface you use, so cannot comment further on that), or use an external mixer to combine the outs to a single input. Hope that helps a bit!

you should consult the manuals for your external gear to determine the midi routing options on each in regards to daisy chaining

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hey Waynejones253 I changed your subject line so it's a bit more specific - in case other folks are searching for a similar topic in the future.

• themayorofflair
    themayorofflair Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have seen dozens of YouTube videos where Maschine & Kontrol are happily communicating mirroring each others actions.

As Blindeddie has also mentioned, no-one mentions how to set this up. There are no instructions available on how to do this which is why Blindeddie & I are asking.

I am assuming that a midi link will need to be set up somehow but not sure about the in’s and out’s of it if you excuse the pun.

I am about to purchase a Komplete Kontrol s88 mk 3 keyboard however am a little unsure as I have seen reviews stating the mk2 is more compatible with Maschine.

Any help will be much appreciated.

James