Issue with Slate+Ash Choreograph

chris t
chris t Member Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2023 in Kontakt

I've recently started using Slate+Ash's Choreograph on a new project, and am blown away by its scope and power. However I've been having major problems with program stability.

I'm running Choreograph in Kontakt 6.7.1 (latest), as a VI within DP11.21. Running on a 2013 MAC Trashcan (2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5) with 127GB of RAM, running OS Mojave (10.14.6).

I don't have that many issues with other VIs (e.g. Spectrasonics, Rob Pappen, etc), or other libraries hosted by Kontakt. However when I try playing Choreograph sounds - whether they be your presets or some I've created out of my own audio, it often works, then soon gives me pops/crackles, and very often, DP crashes. It seems to happen when I have more instruments loaded (e.g. several loaded instruments will be more problematic than if it's just a single instrument). Also it tends to often happen when responding to MIDI CC's or the internal LFOs etc.

Does anyone have advice? Is it just a "not enough processing juice" on my system issue (and/or my old OS?), or is there a setting in Kontakt I could alter to give me more bandwidth/stability without compromising latency/convenience?

I'm not maxing out computer RAM. Currently K6 is set at Multiprocesor support = 12 cores. See screenshot. Kontakt memory server = OFF. PReload bugger size = 60k

Many thanks for your help.

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@chris t Your system looks solid, I'm contacting you by email, my colleagues will have a look into it.

• chris t
    Answer ✓

Yes S+A contactrd me and said that they didnt tecommend running it on Intel Macs! I installed it on n my M1 MBpro and it ran great. Good luck!

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited April 2023

Some VI requires a lot of processing power. The fact that other VI works well doesn’t mean they all will.

When using such resources eaters I would suggest to experiment changing sample rate and buffer size in audio preferences. Maybe you’ll increase a little bit the latency, but at least you will have a pop/crackles free experience.

(Btw: Kontakt 6.7.1 isn’t the latest. We have Kontakt 7 now. But I won’t assure a better experience with this…)

• chris t

Thanks LostInFoundation

I tried increasing buffer size from 512 to 1024 but still have crashing problems. My sample rate is 48k (like my session). It seems like I'm only able to change these instandalone anyway - when used as a plugin you're not able to make these adjustments anyway so it does it even have an effect?

I have noticed slightly smoother running when I turned "Multiprocessor support" to OFF in K6 (since my DAW, DP11, handles MP support I believe). Still having crash issues though with this software though, especilly when triggering one or more CC in real time.

(I'm still on K6 since Mojave I understand won't run K7?) Any other K6 stability tips out there?

Thanks

• Jeremy_NI

@chris t Make sure to give Full Disk Access to Kontakt and DP11: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

You can also follow the steps in this article: How Can I Optimize the Performance of KONTAKT?

Just making sure of a little detail, is this library installed on an external hard drive? What is the format of the drive?

• chris t

Thanks Jeremy.

I had already optimized Kontakt according to the above tips. I have Multiprocessor support and Memory Server OFF (since it's running as a plugin inside DP). Is this correct? (I'm on a 12-core Mac Trashcan (2013). My latency is now set at at 1024 (was previously 512).

I did not have Kontakt selected in Full Disk Access, but have just changed that. What does this do and how can it affect performance?

All my sample libraries are on external SSD Drives in a Thunderboolt enclosure, formatted OSX (Journaled).

• Jeremy_NI

The Full Disk Access overrides any permission issue on your system when using the programs added to that list. Did that improve performance? How much RAM do you have on your computer?

• chris t

OK I see. No changing Full Disk Access made no improvement to the crashing.

I have 128GB of RAM, and don't load in more than 100GB in order to save resources. I think it's almost definitely my processor not being able to handle this demanding synth, right?...

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@chris t Your system looks solid, I'm contacting you by email, my colleagues will have a look into it.

• Sebastian718
    Sebastian718 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Did you ever get this solved? I'm having the same issue.

• chris t
    Answer ✓

Yes S+A contactrd me and said that they didnt tecommend running it on Intel Macs! I installed it on n my M1 MBpro and it ran great. Good luck!