EQ Settings for Maverick and Noire?

Ryan Christman
Ryan Christman Member Posts: 45 Member

Does anybody have any good EQ settings for The Maverick and Noire? I've played piano for 28 years and am always comparing what I hear in a VST to how an acoustic piano sounds and I can never seem to dial it in just right.

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

Maybe those 2 aren’t the best choice for this kind of comparison, since where they really shine are the presets that often are flooded in fxs. If you have it, try with Alicias keys, that has a more “dry” sound

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 363 Pro

It's probably not EQ that's the problem but possibly more environment. Each piano has it's own particular native tone based on a number of construction elements, but that tone is often affected also by the particulars of the acoustics of the room whether it's a dead room or a live room. The tone of a piano is also affected by where you're positioned relative to the piano. All of those things are adjustable on those pianos parameters to some degree or another.

To produce what you hear from a live piano when sitting in front of it playing it will tend to be brighter with less room effect especially on an upright moreso than on a concert style piano. So rather than adjusting EQ you're more likely to be successful adjusting the ambient or mic'ing parameters to come closer to what you're wanting to achieve than just blindly adjusting EQ which is really pretty limiting.

All that being said, you have to expect some differences because every piano has a native acoustic sound which varies from piano to piano.

• Ryan Christman
    Ryan Christman Member Posts: 45 Member

What I'm referring to is the observation that some of the notes are very boomy and others are very shrill. The range I'm having the most problem equalizing is the mid range...I can't seem to get that quite right so I wanted to see if others in the community have some good settings.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 363 Pro

I have quite a few different piano libraries, just not the two you mentioned. So it's hard for me to say what might cause that other than your playback system setup. I know I've never needed to apply actual EQ to any of the piano libraries I use as there's typically something else I can modify such a recording mic setup or other preset variations that fix what I'm hearing. I'm just personally very hesitant to use EQ because to my ear that compromises the natural tone that was so meticulously captured.