Kontakt Player 5 for Older Finale Projects

Jvil10
Jvil10 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hello,

I am setting up a new computer. In the past, I used Kontakt Player 5 to host some 3rd party libraries that were used in Finale (music notation software). I've had no issue bringing those libraries to my new computer in Kontakt Player 7. Finale recognizes both KP7 and the libraries.

The issue happens when I pull up any existing Finale project that used KP5. Since the file is set to KP5 and then Finale doesn't find KP5, it isn't loading any of my sounds, even though I have KP7 installed. I was able to download a legacy version of Kontakt 5. It was supposed to be a player version, but it was a full version that can only run in demo mode. I cannot find a Player version of 5. In that full version, even in demo mode, I can not open up Kontakt 5 within Finale itself to edit or even view my current setting. I can work with KP7 in the future no problem, but I cannot access 8 years of previous files.

Is there a version of Kontakt Player 5 I can download and use to read these old project? Is there a way to have my Finale files move over to KP7? Any other proposed solution?

Thank you for any help and attention you can provide!

Best Answer

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod
    edited January 2023

Hey @Jvil10 A couple of things worth mentioning.

1. Kontakt 7 is VST3 only, I don't believe that Fiinale supports VST3 yet
    2. Kontakt 5 Player or Full version is basically the same program, only if you own the full version it would turn into the full version. What third party libraries are you trying to load? Do they require the full version of Kontakt or only the free version?
  • Jvil10
    Jvil10 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hello @Jeremy_NI,

1. I am able to run Kontakt 7 Player within Finale, so I should have no issues with future projects!
    2. I never owned the full version of Kontakt 5, and I was only interested in the Player version of 5. When I downloaded from https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000568949-KONTAKT-Player-Legacy-Installers-for-Older-Operating-Systems, it opened a full version which I can only use as a demo version. I am leading Virtual Drumline from Tapspace, which has run on player versions in the past. I believe the issue is that within Finale, my old files are looking for Kontakt Player 5 since that is the audio engine that the sounds are set to. Without Kontakt Player 5, I would have to go in and reset all the sounds for every file. While the sounds work with the demo of Kontakt 5 Full Version, I cannot view my Kontakt settings or edit any of the files. It would only work as is. What I am starting to lean towards if I cannot get access to Player 5 is to leave that part along and then run Player 7 as a separate audio engine for any edits and adjustments.

I appreciate any help!

• Jeremy_NI

Can you try this installer? Kontakt Player 5.7.3

• Jeremy_NI

@Jvil10 Did that work out?

• lemusicman
    lemusicman Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I am having this exact same problem on macOS Monterey 12.6.5. I downloaded KONTAKT 5.8.1 from the support page @Jvil10 linked, which says it's the Player version, but it's not. The installation says it failed, but KONTAKT 5 does in fact work. I can open it, and the plugin works in my DAW, but it's still a demo of the full version, giving me the option to continue with the demo, purchase it, or activate it via Native Access. It is not the Player version, which is what I need.

@Jeremy_NI, that installer you linked for KONTAKT Player 5.7.3 does the exact same thing. The file is titled "Kontakt_573_Player.iso," but the installation isn't for Player, it's for the full version. It seems like a download for the Player version doesn't exist anywhere anymore.

In addition, that support page says to "open Native Access and log in with your NI account's email address and password. KONTAKT will be automatically activated after the login." This doesn't happen. I've tried logging out and logging back in to Native Access, and I've tried launching Native Access from within KONTAKT 5 by pressing the Activate button. It opens Native Access, but does nothing else. KONTAKT 5 is nowhere to be found in Native Access.

• Jeremy_NI

@lemusicman I believe it's an activation issue on M1 Macs. check this article: GUITAR RIG 5, KONTAKT 5 and SUPER 8 R2 Open as Demo Versions on Apple Silicon / M-Systems

FYI, Kontakt Player & Full version are the same program, it switches to one another depending on activation in Native Access.

• mj428
    mj428 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have the same basic question. I have Finale 26 using Kontakt 5 and Virtual Drumline (VDL). All works great. I collaborate with others and we pass the file back and forth to work on. Never had any issues before with others that have the same setup. Now a new collaborator has Finale but did not have Kontakt and VDL. They purchased Virtual Drumline so we could collaborate. But it installs Kontakt 6. So when we share the file, their Final looks for Kontakt 6. We tried loading Kontakt 5 but Kontakt and VDL only now allow Kontakt 6 and using Kontkt % works in demo mode and doesn't even load any Kontakt 5 .nkm preset files. We would have to completely reload and reset every instrument and voice using VDL with Kontakt6. I would update to Kontakt 6 but I would need to reset ALL of my files and Multis I have used for years and so would all my other collaborators currently working blissfully with Kontakt 5. Is there a way to use my Kontakt 5 Multis and .nkm files in Kontakt 6 and not have to reset everything in Finale?

• lemusicman
    lemusicman Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    edited May 2023

@Jeremy_NI I appreciate your response. I'm not on an M1 Mac, however. I have a 2018 Intel Mac running Monterey 12.6.5.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@mj428 @lemusicman This will require to check some system files, please contact my colleagues here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_install