Session Strings Pro 2 Dynamic Control Doesn't Effect Mod Wheel

maxhigh
maxhigh Member Posts: 4 Member

The Dynamic Control panel in Session Strings Pro 2 is meant to adjust the minimum and maximum midi values for controllers. It does work for key velocity, but I can not get it to work for the mod wheel on the S88 MK2, or for that matter for the ribbon via the midi CC# field. No matter how I set the Min and Max values, the mod wheel always responds by triggering the quietest to the loudest volume. I would like to use the mod wheel to control volume, but having the full range makes it too difficult to use smoothly. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something?

Best Answers

• maxhigh
    Answer ✓

Thank you. The way you describe it is in fact that way it's working - it does limit the key velocity.

But if that's how it's meant to work, the layout of the panel and the way it's named is confusing. Better if it were called "Velocity Control," and if the Midi CC# and Modwheel fields were not directly underneath in the same square.

I was hoping it could somehow limit the input of the Modwheel, but I guess that's not going to happen. The Modwheel sends 0-127, which I find makes it unwieldy to use smoothly for midi volume because it's too broad a range.

In order to control volume for things like swells, this has got me considering putting some kind of fader unit on top of the S88, and assigning midi volume to that. I suppose it would still control 0-127, but at least it would be more manageable than a mod wheel.

In the old days (Yamaha DX7) I used an expression pedal for midi volume, but that was also hard to manage smoothly. Of course, Hammond organists have done it that way forever.

The little Korg nanoKONTROL fader unit might be the ticket. It's the right size, and cheap. We'll see.

Thanks again, ShelLuser.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

There are several continuous expression pedals that have a trimmable 'range' pot on them. I picked one up 5 years ago and have never looked back. Mine is set for roughly 20-100% of full scale CC7, CC11, or CC3 (whichever applies)

Answers

• ShelLuser
    ShelLuser Member Posts: 240 Pro

The Dynamic Control panel in Session Strings Pro 2 is meant to adjust the minimum and maximum midi values for controllers.

I don't think that's quite correct: from what I can tell it's meant to limit the velocity to a specific minimum & maximum value but it won't have any effect on your input value.

• maxhigh
    Answer ✓

Thank you. The way you describe it is in fact that way it's working - it does limit the key velocity.

But if that's how it's meant to work, the layout of the panel and the way it's named is confusing. Better if it were called "Velocity Control," and if the Midi CC# and Modwheel fields were not directly underneath in the same square.

I was hoping it could somehow limit the input of the Modwheel, but I guess that's not going to happen. The Modwheel sends 0-127, which I find makes it unwieldy to use smoothly for midi volume because it's too broad a range.

In order to control volume for things like swells, this has got me considering putting some kind of fader unit on top of the S88, and assigning midi volume to that. I suppose it would still control 0-127, but at least it would be more manageable than a mod wheel.

In the old days (Yamaha DX7) I used an expression pedal for midi volume, but that was also hard to manage smoothly. Of course, Hammond organists have done it that way forever.

The little Korg nanoKONTROL fader unit might be the ticket. It's the right size, and cheap. We'll see.

Thanks again, ShelLuser.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

There are several continuous expression pedals that have a trimmable 'range' pot on them. I picked one up 5 years ago and have never looked back. Mine is set for roughly 20-100% of full scale CC7, CC11, or CC3 (whichever applies)

• maxhigh

Thank you, Brad - I didn't know that adjustment feature was available. Following your input I'm looking into the Moog pedal for this.