M32 velocity sensitivity

the_wiki
the_wiki Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
edited May 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

What is up with the velocity/sensitivity on the M32 keyboard? Just playing it normally, like you would an actual piano, it is only sending like 20-50 velocity (out of 127). If you play really hard to the point the keys are getting noisy and your fingers hurt, it might go to 70-80. You have to literally pound it as hard as you can, rapidly bottoming out the keys, to hit 127, which is what fixed velocity button sends. This means in many instruments and drums that are velocity sensitive, they are very quiet and difficult to play.

The velocity/sensitivity curve cannot be edited in the Controller Editor

Is the only solution some kind of volume/velocity filter in the DAW? So far it seems like it's only really usable with fixed velocity, which is kind of a bummer. It is hard to believe this is the intended design.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    Answer ✓

I’m afraid you are right, since M32 in facts doesn’t have any velocity curve settings. So a midi filter is the only solution.

A kind of workaround (but really not ideal) could be to play the keys as you would do normally and once the “to soft” midi has been recorded, go in the part of the DAW you are using that shows the midi data for velocity, select them all and raise them all together. This should maintain the dynamics between the softer/stronger strikes but increase proportionally the volumes

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

I’m afraid you are right, since M32 in facts doesn’t have any velocity curve settings. So a midi filter is the only solution.

A kind of workaround (but really not ideal) could be to play the keys as you would do normally and once the “to soft” midi has been recorded, go in the part of the DAW you are using that shows the midi data for velocity, select them all and raise them all together. This should maintain the dynamics between the softer/stronger strikes but increase proportionally the volumes

• Quadbox
    Quadbox Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

THIS IS KOMPLETE BOLLO*,.... I AM GETTING LESS ENCHANTED WITH MY ENTRY THE NI EVERYDAY.... got the M32 to use while travelling.... But this just renders it pretty well useless... all the instruments just sound wrong... you cannot get a decent velocity input level... I am off to buy another mini keyboard for travel... arghhhh,..

• blitze
    blitze Member Posts: 6 Member

Strange, wondering what DAW is being used as in Reaper with Alicia Keys - I'm getting good midi verlocity output from the M32

Not impressed with instrument browsing control from it in Komplete Kontrol stand alone but that's another story. It seems to work better with KK as a VST but there could be room for improvement like a side pane for listing sound type / navigation with the wheel moving down the list highlighting which ever you have dialed in.

• LostInFoundation
    edited March 10

M32 has velocity sensitivity. But saying that is good…

It’s comprehensible though, since it’s a low budget kb…

But if you find it good, never try a better one, so you’ll be happy with the M32 ☺️