Master Tempo button behavior different on Mikro and Mk3

soulbrilliance
soulbrilliance Member Posts: 16 Member
edited May 2023 in Maschine

The way Maschine Mikro and Maschine Mk3 handle the master tempo setting is different. On Mikro, if I select tempo while already having a pad pressed playing a sustaining instrument, I am able to adjust the master tempo. On the ful Mk3 unit, there is no such option. No matter which order I press tempo button, It only adjusts the instrument tuning.

This is horrible for live performances where I am holding pads down to play sustain instruments (Pads, Strings, organs, etc), and requires me to use an external sustain pedal (also lame since Maschine has a useless pedal jack that only works for start/stop!!!!!)

Actually, either making the Mk3's pedal jack assignable to sustain would help too, either one would allow me to use Mk3 instead of Mikro for live.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,195 Expert

I checked to see if this was the case and you’re right…4d encoder always act like this when keeping a pad pushed, no matter what.

And at the moment I don’t find any alternative solution.

I will continue experimenting and in case I find something I’ll let you know

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 630 Pro

interesting!

• 6xes

that makes my maschine mk1 better in one respect than the MK3.... LOL

• 6xes
    edited May 2023

it appears that i spoke too soon!!

upon testing the Maschine mk1 in both pad mode and keyboard mode...

it does appear to behave the same as the MK3 with the pad held down... and the tempo encoder moved the tuning in the sampler changes as opposed to the master tempo.

So i'll have to eat that last comment with a bit of humble pie *smiles

so i guess thats a tick for the maschine mikro LOL

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Wait what? It's a dual-function button... Tempo/Tune. Tempo when no pads are held and tune when a pad is held.

So on the Mikro MK3 the second function of the button (tune), does not work?

• 6xes
    edited May 2023

one of the limitations which turns out to be a benefit on the Mikro lol

the problem also occurs with the Maschine MK2 upon testing...

it seems that the tempo is bypassed when the Pads are held down... irrespective of if its a sample or another plugin pushing out the sound, it would seem

i tested with the Maschine Jam... and the master Tempo can be adjusted independantly at least that is my observation.. the tempo on the maschine Jam is slightly different in operation as it brings up a separate window... which gives focus to the master tempo adjustments

(this would bring a hack into play... with the NIplugin modhack thingy you made... as this window is serviceable in the area on Apple ios Lua packages *shrugs) not something im too keen on messing around in... seeing as i have a workaround on my side :p

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2023

Well, that's very arguable, I would bet that not a lot of uses require changing the BPM while holding pads for instruments, being able to quickly tune seems a way more common use case; very subjective tho.

But on the Mikro Mk3 the button also has a secondary function written on it, so how do you use it on it? Maybe it's only for when the STEP Mode is active, that's the only thing I can think of.

• 6xes
    edited May 2023

well just as an example in which the OP mentions... is adjusting tempo whilst keeping a sample sustained... a 4/4 beat shifting up with a crescendo *shrugs... i suppose some automation could be another workaround?? but thats just it... on the fly options are better than no option at all

A matter of choice, in a live situation when improvising...

imagine trying to play&sound like Joe Satriani... without a whammy bar *shrugs

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,195 Expert

Wait…are you telling me Joe Satriani is using Maschine (disguised as an electric guitar)???

(Joking, of course…😂😂😂)

• 6xes

Joe Sat probably wasnt the best example... as pitch bending screaming harmonics actually supports D-ones position...

The point i tried to get across was having the option at your disposal

whammy bar versus No whammy bar with a sustained note

tempo change versus no tempo change with a sustained note

• soulbrilliance

So it depends on the timing of when you hit the tempo button! On Maschine Mikro, I can hit the tempo button in such a way as to make it adjust the master tempo, or adjust the tuning. If you're already holding the pad, it adjusts the tempo, but if, even while holding the pad, you hit another pad, it can then adjust the tuning.

• soulbrilliance

And, I literally have no reason to adjust the tuning from the master control, esp, when I can simply go from plugin and adjust it there on the fly, if for some reason I wanted to (which I wouldn't). Thanks everyone for commenting on this, maybe it will get NIs attention. Maschine is my live performance centerpiece, Ive used for years. This one little thing would make life so easier.

• 6xes
    edited May 2023

hey just going off topic a little here... but i was thinking about pitch shifting and a sustained note...

heres a little clip i would like you to have a listen to..

what interesting about it... is how the pitch keeps climbing yet remains in the audible range...

its a audio illusion... its an interesting method which we dont see often in sound design...

the aspect of a sustained note brought me to think of this

surely this could be easily sampled and looped and pitch shifted and modified to heaven and back

• Murat Kayi
    Murat Kayi Member Posts: 429 Pro

Just wanted to mention that I sometimes use a little 32 keys midi keyboard with a sustain pedal jack just to use the sustain pedal on instruments loaded in Maschine