From Maschine MK3 to Maschine+

Sindri
Sindri Member Posts: 23 Member
edited May 2023 in Maschine

Hi everybody,

Still me with my beginners questions. I became officially an addict to Maschine as I am so proud of the music I create after just a few weeks on Maschine MK3.

I have a few problems with my computer that is not really powerful enough for Maschine.

As our wedding birthday comes close, my husband would like to offer me Maschine+ as it is standalone. And I would sell my Maschine MK3.

My question is: if I move from Maschine MK3 to Maschine+ can I use the expansions and Komplete 14 ultimate that I use now on Maschine MK3 on the Maschine+? Are they valid on several Hardwares or will I have to buy them again?

Thank you so much

Best Answers

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

I completely know what you mean about that excitement! A year and a half in and I still feel it every day and can't believe how much fun it is making music with Maschine and how fast I'm getting better at it. Are you sharing what you're making with other people? When I started doing that it really gave me a huge boost from the great feedback. (If you want to, let's connect on SC to share what we're working on or even collab sometime! 🙂 )

What a sweetheart your husband is! You sound like a wonderful couple. 💞

Everything will work just fine with both and it's all handled through Native Access like you're already familiar. You won't need to rebuy anything. And when you sell the MK3, you can transfer the hardware license through NI on the site to the new owner very easily, making it very easy to resell. (When you advertise it, just mention you will transfer your MK3 license to the new owner and it will make it super easy to sell. And the way NI does these things these days is really great, they will give the new owner a new license for the bundled software so you don't lose access to anything at all.)

BTW If you don't need to resell MK3 right away, it can be fun to jam with both for a little while first. (Your partner might even find it fun to play along together with you!) I got a super cheap ($30) set of wireless Bluetooth MIDI dongles on Amazon and they make it super easy and fun to collaborate with yourself creative new ways. 👍

Anyway, PM me when you're ready to part with the old one because I've been thinking about picking up an MK3 sometime soon so I can keep an MK3 wired up in my studio with my computer and S49 and not have to move my M+ back and forth because I love taking it outside in the garden or to jam with other musicians onsite. (I got a used Mikro for that studio purpose but it is nowhere near as capable as an MK3 or M+. Then once I get an MK3, I'm hoping to find the right young person to regift my Mikro to near me in LA to "pay it forward" and inspire some aspiring beatmaker on their musical journey. 🌞)

• Peter Harris
    Answer ✓

Once you set up your M+ with Wi-Fi and your account you will go into the Browser and select Available for expansions and it'll download them all to the SD card on that machine. Super easy!

Just keep in mind that in standalone the mplus won't have access to many of the instruments you own from K-14U. But you can still connect your new M+ in controller mode to your laptop and it will work exactly like an MK3 that way, with all of the instruments you're used to having available.

Answers

• Peter Harris
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

I completely know what you mean about that excitement! A year and a half in and I still feel it every day and can't believe how much fun it is making music with Maschine and how fast I'm getting better at it. Are you sharing what you're making with other people? When I started doing that it really gave me a huge boost from the great feedback. (If you want to, let's connect on SC to share what we're working on or even collab sometime! 🙂 )

What a sweetheart your husband is! You sound like a wonderful couple. 💞

Everything will work just fine with both and it's all handled through Native Access like you're already familiar. You won't need to rebuy anything. And when you sell the MK3, you can transfer the hardware license through NI on the site to the new owner very easily, making it very easy to resell. (When you advertise it, just mention you will transfer your MK3 license to the new owner and it will make it super easy to sell. And the way NI does these things these days is really great, they will give the new owner a new license for the bundled software so you don't lose access to anything at all.)

BTW If you don't need to resell MK3 right away, it can be fun to jam with both for a little while first. (Your partner might even find it fun to play along together with you!) I got a super cheap ($30) set of wireless Bluetooth MIDI dongles on Amazon and they make it super easy and fun to collaborate with yourself creative new ways. 👍

Anyway, PM me when you're ready to part with the old one because I've been thinking about picking up an MK3 sometime soon so I can keep an MK3 wired up in my studio with my computer and S49 and not have to move my M+ back and forth because I love taking it outside in the garden or to jam with other musicians onsite. (I got a used Mikro for that studio purpose but it is nowhere near as capable as an MK3 or M+. Then once I get an MK3, I'm hoping to find the right young person to regift my Mikro to near me in LA to "pay it forward" and inspire some aspiring beatmaker on their musical journey. 🌞)

• Sindri

Thank you so much 🤗 My husband realized that music is important to me and that Maschine opened me the doors of creation.

I found the link to transfer the licence to the New Owner.

So when I’ll have Maschine+ and i can transfer my Komplete 14 Ultimate inside it without doing anything. I just plug it and transfer the expansions?

As it is standalone, how do I transfer Expansions inside?

So if I understood correctly, do I have something to do to transfer the expansion inside the new Maschine+?

Thank you once again

• Peter Harris
    Answer ✓

Once you set up your M+ with Wi-Fi and your account you will go into the Browser and select Available for expansions and it'll download them all to the SD card on that machine. Super easy!

Just keep in mind that in standalone the mplus won't have access to many of the instruments you own from K-14U. But you can still connect your new M+ in controller mode to your laptop and it will work exactly like an MK3 that way, with all of the instruments you're used to having available.

• Sindri

@Peter Harris Yes i understand thank you so much for your information. It is really impressive how Maschine made easy and intuitive the way of making music. I’m so happy I discovered it.

Thank you once again 🙏🤗

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,196 Expert
    edited May 2023

Sorry to coming to specify a little more, but having already talked to you a lot, I know you are just starting with Maschine/Komplete world so I would like you to understand precisely.

What Peter told you is all correct, but I’m guessing if you understood it all.

1. All your new Komplete 14 Uktimate world CAN’T be transferred inside Maschine+. Only a few selected synths and the expansions (that comes with M+ itself, therefore you don’t even need K14) can be used in M+ standalone. To use ALL the other instruments you’ll have to plug M+ to the computer, making it become practically the same as the MK3.
    2. You can forget about your beloved Mysteria, Ashlight/Pharlight/Straylight we talked about or even all the other instruments like Alicia keys, all the Play series, the strummed series, or anything else. All that you will be able to use with M+ in standalone will be: Massive, FM8, Prism, Monark, Reaktor, a small selection of Kontakt factory library instruments and the expansions. Dot. That’s all. A really, REALLY small fraction of what you just bought with K14 Ultimate
    3. Maschine+ has a limited processor and limited RAM memory. This means that, although it remains a wonderful device, what you can do with it before reaching critical point is not even close to what you can do with a computer. As an example, even only loading some groups from some expansions that incorporate a lot of fxs loaded on many sounds will make M+ struggle (at the point that is common practice of M+ users to load groups and delete all the sounds that get not used from the 16 pads, or remove many fxs from the sounds (altering therefore how they sound in the original expansion) just to spare some process power)

That said, is not my intention to discourage you to buy it if you are interested in it. Just to make you do an informed purchase. Know what you will buy, so you won’t be disappointed.

I am a Maschine+ owner too, bought after 14 years spent using Maschine, from mk1 to mk3 (which I still own. So I know exactly what I was expecting and what I ended up with. And I know exactly that I will never sell my MK3, because, even when I want to work outside of my studio, I surely use more my MK3 (or M+ in controller mode) plugged into my MS Surface Pro (which, once removed it’s keyboard, practically become a BIIIIG touchscreen for my controller) than my M+ standalone. Just because it’s waaaaay more powerful (and allows me to do things I will never be able to do with M+ standalone, like using all my Komplete Ultimate instruments as other brands plugins). Maschine+ standalone is really only for when I want to sketch something really fast (turn it on, don’t think about any computer or cable and start playing with its (limited) set of instruments).

Once again: everything that Peter told you is correct, but you answering things like “I can transfer my Komplete 14 Ultimate inside it” made me think probably you are still a little bit confused.

Hope to be helpful once again, just making you ponder if this is really what you want/need. In this case, go and buy it. Otherwise, there are other solutions that, at the same price, will give you even more horsepower to play with (see e.g. the idea of a Surface (or another laptop), which will also have some other benefits farther than more powerful processor/ram, like giving things a Maschine+ don’t have (a battery allowing to use them without having to plug into a socket, speakers to ear the music you play and a big screen on which seeing the software)

• Sindri

Hi @LostInFoundation Thank you so much for all these extra information. It is very useful to me to help in the decision.

I have to say that when I bought the Maschine MK3, even if I watched many videos about it… the fact to keep it plugged to the computer was a thing that could get me disappointed a bit.

I don’t know why in my mind, a tool like Maschine has to be standalone and independent.

I am conscious that many things have to be opened in the software anyway: as Mysteria, Ashlight and one that I just discovered yesterday (did not bought it): schema dark

• AlessWo
    AlessWo Member Posts: 22 Member

Hi @LostInFoundation nice detailed information. Which model of MS surface pro do you have. Which is the configuration?

• LostInFoundation
    edited July 2023

I don’t even have one of the most powerful: Surface Pro 7, i5, Windows 10, 64bit, 8 Gb RAM, 128 Gb internal SSD (but Pro 7 is the last one (I think) that also has a slot for micro SD cards, so it can be used with less attached device hanging with a cable from its side).

Surely models with better processor, more RAM, or even newer than Pro 7 will work even better, but I must say that with the one that I own I can already make a lot, so at the moment I’m happy with this one

• AlessWo

Thanks @LostInFoundation , I´d posted the following doubt, but no answer until now. Hope you could help me :-).

I am completely new to the Maschine world and NI ecosystem.

I just bought the bundle Maschine+ and Komplete 14. I waiting to have this beauty in my hands.

I am a little bit confused, regarding what can I use in Maschine plus in standalone mode.

Which of the plug-ins, expansions etc.

Kontakt 7 could be used?

I saw videos of PlayBox and I loved it, also the play series additions. But now I don’t know what can really be used without plug in a computer.

I want to be DAWless.

• AlessWo

@LostInFoundation do you know if it is possible to resampling playbook (a patch or specific sound) from maschine software and save it into maschine plus to be use as standalone and integrate this to projects in DAWless mode? This question applies to any instrument or extension not available inside maschine plus.

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023

Anything can be sampled (even directly in Maschine+ in standalone mode) through its Autosampler (which is also very practical to use, that’s why is called AUTOsampler).

You must just be aware that the newly created instrument will never be 100% the same as the original one.

Let’s take as an example an instrument with a reverb on it (or even better a patch which includes a sequencer): once sampled, all the fxs and “motion” add-ons will be “baked” into the sound and therefore they can’t be changed like in the original one.

In your case, you can sample Playbox sound as you listen it. You won’t be able to do all the changes that you do in the original instrument (switching sounds, changing notes,…)

If you still want a little bit of this flexibility, the best thing is to sample the instrument as “dry” as possible and then add again later fxs like reverbs, delays,… in order to still being able to modify them.

Here is a good video on the Autosampler you can watch to see how it works and how it makes things easier if you aren’t expert in sampling instruments