MS Windows 10 volume meter stopped working?

paul1960
paul1960 Member Posts: 19 Member
edited February 2022 in Tech Talks

MS Windows 10 volume meter stopped working?

I changed to the ASIO driver because the sound was distorting, I also put the libraries on a "D:\" drive. But now the windows volume meters aren't working anywhere like the desktop, settings etc! Is that normal?

Anyone know how to fix this please?

Comments

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

what meters are you referring too? screenshot would help clarify!

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

I don't think this is anything Kontakt or NI-related. Wrong forum to ask this question in.

• paul1960
    paul1960 Member Posts: 19 Member

the meters on the desktop mixer, settings page and sounds pop up small window!

cheers!

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

It's normal.

ASIO bypasses your windows mixer all together since that is where most of the performance issues come from and that is the whole point of ASIO drivers, to take out all the middle junk in Windows and connect your software direct with your audio interface.

Depending on your audio interface (if you have a decent pro one and not the string and 2 cans built into your system) you can sometimes utilise BOTH WASAPI and ASIO drivers concurrently so all your normal windows and browser audio still uses the windows mixer while your audio application uses direct ASIO, but this usually requires a decent multi-client audio interface.