How do I turn on the sustain pedal in "The Grandeur?"

Laurant
Laurant Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

When I read the manuel - I understand you can use the resonance samples by using a pedal and MIDI controller. However I don't have either on those...

I'm really suprised there isn't just a switch or knob to adjust the pedal in the actual virtual intrument. I also cannot figure out how to assign it to a MIDI CC, or if it already has been assigned to one.

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,577 Expert
    Answer ✓

Most instruments do not have a "Sustain" switch as that is what the keyboards foot pedal (CC 64) is designed to do and usually, people hvae a sustain pedal. Would be well worth getting one.

All you should need to do is setup a MIDI CC control on CC 64 and that shoudl then sustain the notes when activated, a footswitch is just a MIDI CC 64 control.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,577 Expert
    Answer ✓

Most instruments do not have a "Sustain" switch as that is what the keyboards foot pedal (CC 64) is designed to do and usually, people hvae a sustain pedal. Would be well worth getting one.

All you should need to do is setup a MIDI CC control on CC 64 and that shoudl then sustain the notes when activated, a footswitch is just a MIDI CC 64 control.

• Laurant
    Laurant Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    edited May 2023

When I look The Grandeur in Kontakt, when loaded in my DAW (Studio One) - it says there is nothing assigned to #64 in host automation, and also nothing assigned to CC64 in MIDI Automation.

I can easily assign a CC to anything else (using the drag and drop) - but because there is no knob/switch/fader for turning the pedal on or off - I don't know how to assign it?

Is it something I would have to do on my DAW?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,602 mod

@Laurant Exactly what Jester said! CC64 is the MIDI message for sustain. You can either write an automation with CC64 in Studio One or assign a MIDI controller to CC64, it won't be as practical (and as it was intended) as a sustain pedal (you can find some really cheap ones if you want to save yourself some headaches trying to set up that CC64 with something else.)

• altmail@bresnan.net
    altmail@bresnan.net Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

In Studio One, in the Upper Left Corner, there is a drop down Arrow just left of word Control.

1. Make sure that you check the Last Touched option.
    2. Now press your Sustain Pedal on your Controller Keyboard, and it will show up in that same upper left corner.
    3. Click on the Hand Icon, (same corner ), and drag it to the midi Track or Channel of your Piano Plugin to add the Sustain Pedal Automation.

It is completely insane that Native Instruments sells this three Piano Collection, without a sustain pedal Automation option. Native Instrument needs to contact the vendor and rectify this unforgivable error.

The Noire Piano Does have the sustain pedal Automation option, ( Pedal On/Off ), as does the Waves Rhapsody Piano.

I know this response is a little late, but I hope this will help the Studio One users, and sorry I can't speak to any other DAW users, since I only know Studio One 6.