Midi Export per Drag & drop or otherwise

bremerkathrin@web.dd
bremerkathrin@web.dd Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hello,

sorry, I’m a kontakt beginner and don‘t understand, how I can export a pattern (perhaps session guiterist) as midi in my DAW (Logic Pro)

Generally I use Toontrack, where it is very simple to drag a pattern in my arrangement or to export it per button..

How can I do this in kontakt?

Thank you very much for an answer.

Kathrin

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@bremerkathrin@web.dd Technically you could record the output of Kontakt if you select the option here: Send MIDI to outside world : Script generated notes.

Unfortunately for the Session Guitar libraries the generated notes include internal scripts and the recording will not reflect the actual notes you hear faithfully. There is also no Drag & drop mode.

You can find Drag & Drop in other libraries, like the Abbey Road Drummer series, you can see the little icon here:

You can find this information in the manual of the libraries.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 363 Pro
    Answer ✓

I'm not sure you're going to be able to get what you want out of Session Guitarist as what's reflected as MIDI in your DAW is what YOU are playing, not what Session Guitarist is playing. This is true of many different libraries that depend on the plugin for both capturing the "guide" notes actually being played and then processing the output of those notes to the pattern and notes being played on output.

This is a bit different from drums in that there are specific standard MIDI definitions for each drum and how it's played, so the resulting MIDI can typically be played by most drum plugins which can apply different types of drum sets and samples. Some of the Session Guitarist libraries do provide a "Solo" option which leaves it up to you to play the specific notes which will all show up in your MIDI as regular notes. Those could then be saved as a regular MIDI file.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert

Kontakt is just a sampler/player. You can’t record midi data in it.

What you have to do is to open Kontakt in a DAW where you can record what you play and see it/edit it in a piano roll

• bremerkathrin@web.dd

Thank you very much for answering.

I always open Kontakt in my DAW (Logic)

But HOW can I drag and drop it in my arranger location. Do I have to record or is it possible to drag and drop a pattern (as midi) , par example from the session guitarist in my track?

ythank you!

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@bremerkathrin@web.dd Technically you could record the output of Kontakt if you select the option here: Send MIDI to outside world : Script generated notes.

Unfortunately for the Session Guitar libraries the generated notes include internal scripts and the recording will not reflect the actual notes you hear faithfully. There is also no Drag & drop mode.

You can find Drag & Drop in other libraries, like the Abbey Road Drummer series, you can see the little icon here:

You can find this information in the manual of the libraries.

• bremerkathrin@web.dd

Thank you very much for your answer.

So, if I understand correctly, I have to press the record button and can see the chords, that I choosed in my piano roll?

I was confused about the different modes to play chords. Sometimes I see only one note, which seemed to represent an other chord, than I see in my piano roll.

Sorry about my bad english. Do there exist a video in german, which is explaining the basics?

Thank you,

Kathrin

• Jeremy_NI

@bremerkathrin@web.dd This drag & drop option is only for some libraries, not for the Session Guitarist ones. It is not possible to record MIDI out of a plug-in in Logic, it's a limitation of the AU format. Regarding how chords work in these lilbraries I would recommend to check the manual.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 363 Pro
    Answer ✓

I'm not sure you're going to be able to get what you want out of Session Guitarist as what's reflected as MIDI in your DAW is what YOU are playing, not what Session Guitarist is playing. This is true of many different libraries that depend on the plugin for both capturing the "guide" notes actually being played and then processing the output of those notes to the pattern and notes being played on output.

This is a bit different from drums in that there are specific standard MIDI definitions for each drum and how it's played, so the resulting MIDI can typically be played by most drum plugins which can apply different types of drum sets and samples. Some of the Session Guitarist libraries do provide a "Solo" option which leaves it up to you to play the specific notes which will all show up in your MIDI as regular notes. Those could then be saved as a regular MIDI file.

• bremerkathrin@web.dd

Thank you very much for your answer. If I couldn‘t change the chord after playing it, I have to think about it much more before playing…😯