Volume/Expression Pedal

Arnon Eshel
Arnon Eshel Member Posts: 6 Newcomer

Hi,

I am wondering if someone can help.

I am new to NI. I have a NI A61 midi controller and the 14 Collector's edition.

I am a guitar player who also plays some keys, but new to the keyboard world. My logic is to play piano (acoustic and electric) on My Yamaha P95 weighted keyboard, using the sustain pedal and to use a volume/expression pedal (such as Roland EV-5) on my A61 for all the other sounds (synths, organs, etc.).

I know I can use the eight knobs on the A61 to control some parameters and would like to use the foot pedal as a volume one, ideally across the board for all sounds on the A61.

Is there any way to program this like that? Or if not, to program this per sound?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

In theory it should work like that. The pedal plugged into the keyboard will accomplish the same action for the instrument that is played in that moment.

Note that A series only have one pedal input (but it should be possible to assign it to expression instead of sustain)

Have a look at this article, it should clarify things for you 😉:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005166305-How-to-Configure-Sustain-Expression-Pedals-on-KOMPLETE-KONTROL-Keyboards

• Arnon Eshel

Thank you for trying to help. I read the link and also read the instructions in the A61 manual. I set up as per the attached Word file.

Unfortunately, no change in volume when I used the pedal.

I appreciate any help.

• Arnon Eshel

I did not change anything on the actual A61 keyboard. Should I?

• LostInFoundation

Did you map then through midi learn (right mouse click on the parameter you want, in this case volume) the message coming from the pedal to volume?

• Arnon Eshel

I tried but it does not work...

Even if it worked, do I have to do this process with each instrument?

If is there a way to set it up from the A61 hardware so that the pedal will operate as a volume pedal for each instrument? is it CC 11 or CC7.

This is very frustrating to be stuck of these technical issues. I wish someone could take control of my computer and help me out. Probably will be much faster.

I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

• LostInFoundation

The fact that it isn’t midi mappable with learn it’s quite strange. What CC message is your pedal sending?

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Answer ✓

If your keyboard pedal is set to send CC#7, it should be mappable to volume/level (I just tried it in Hybrid Keys, works fine).

You may find this article helpful: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005158197-How-to-Use-the-MIDI-Assignment-Editor-for-KOMPLETE-KONTROL-A-Series-M32-Keyboards

• LostInFoundation

With midi learn shouldn’t it be mappable no matter what cc is sent? It is like this at least for knobs. Do pedals have something different in this aspect?

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

@LostInFoundation ; yes, MIDI learn should respond and capture any controller that is moved while listening. Some older keyboards had pedals fixed to CC7 & CC64, but that is rare now.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod

In the Komplete Kontrol standalone app you can assign any CC to the pedal:

• Arnon Eshel

Hi All,

Now the pedal moves the Volume knob but only min or max, nothing in between.

I used same pedal as a volume pedal for my guitar and it works with all the range.

Any solution to my problem?

Also, the text below is from my post dated May 6, I appreciate if you can answer my questions, if you can:

"Even if it worked, do I have to do this process with each instrument?

If is there a way to set it up from the A61 hardware so that the pedal will operate as a volume pedal for each instrument? is it CC 11 or CC7.

This is very frustrating to be stuck of these technical issues. I wish someone could take control of my computer and help me out. Probably will be much faster."

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,291 mod

Now the pedal moves the Volume knob but only min or max, nothing in between.

I used same pedal as a volume pedal for my guitar and it works with all the range.

Any solution to my problem?

Check the screenshot, make sure to select Continuous vs toggle:

It's also explained in the article posted about setting up pedals.

It depends if the instrument has this featured or not.