Save a modified factory preset

Gob
Gob Member Posts: 19 Helper

Hi,

I often run Komplete Kontrol in stand-alone mode with my S61 MK2 for some casual playing. Often times I end up tweaking a factory preset using the S61 only and would then like to save it as a new, user preset. Do I have to roll my chair over to my computer in order to save this modified patch, or am I missing a key combination on the S61 that would allow me to save it?

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

To answer the initial question. You can't save & rename a user preset from the keyboard itself.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert

File dropdown menu -> Save as

• Gob

I knew that, thanks. My question was specifically how to save from the S61 MK2 keyboard directly. My computer mouse and keyboard is out of arm's reach when I'm in front of my S61.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert

Yeah I don't think you can

• Gob
    edited April 2023

@Kymeia Thank you again.

I was hoping I might have missed something in the manual.

I would love to see this feature even if it meant that I can't enter a custom name for the preset at the KK keyboard. A generic suffix appended to the last loaded preset and then stored in a specific folder to separate the KK stored presets from the SW stored ones would be perfect.

• Kymeia

I understand but I can see the problem with that is people ending up with loads of uncategorised presets with generic names. Part of the point of KK making it manual is to encourage people to think about what tags etc apply. However this does highlight another limitation though which is it should be easier to rename patches saves as NKS (currently if you do a save as it just saves a new patch with the new name so you end up with even more clutter and also you have no control over whereto are saving to - unlike in Maschine). If that was possible then the workflow you suggest would work better as you could save a few 'generically' but then rename and tag them afterwards.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,197 Expert

At least afterwards tagging is already possible now, with the edit button on bottom of the browser. It would be enough to add also a “rename” there.

Or did you mean something else?

• Kymeia
    edited May 2023

Tagging has always been possible but for the workflow where you have an 'autonaming' function there needs to be a less clunky way to rename - right click on preset/rename would be best - putting it in the edit menu is an extra click but better than nothing

• Gob

@Kymeia I understand your point and the risks of users not doing due diligence. But then again, you can't force the horse to drink.

If it's between having a few non-tagged, poorly named presets as oppose to not having them at all, I would go with option #1.

I feel like the whole concept of the S series of keyboards is to get away from your mouse and keyboard. The keyboard invites you to explore presets and further tweak and modify them via all the pre-mapped encoders. It would just feel a lot more natural to be able to save your presets right there and then rather than having to roll my chair over to the ol' mouse and keyboard. I feel it goes against the whole design direction of the keyboard.

Perhaps I should try hacking together something in MIDI OX and AHK that would allow this feature. Hmmm...

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

I think one mistake people make with things like KK, Maschine, Ableton Push is feeling it should be a full replacement for using a computer mouse and keyboard in cases like this. no controllers can save these kinds of presets. Hell, even actual hardware synths that can save a patch often require a keyboard input or clunky nav on screen to enter a name.

I guess it's one of those nice ideas to have buut when you are connected to a computer and have a keyboard and mouse right there 1 ft away doesn't seem too much of a stretch to simply press CTRL+SHIFT+S and enter a name for the preset.

It is perfectly possible to make a script to do this by doing exactly that. If all you want to do is save the current loaded factory preset as a user preset, just have to do a save AS and enter. Issue may be tho, you cant do that within a DAW as it may instead try save the DAW project

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

To answer the initial question. You can't save & rename a user preset from the keyboard itself.

• Gob

"buut when you are connected to a computer and have a keyboard and mouse right there 1 ft away doesn't seem too much of a stretch to simply press CTRL+SHIFT+S and enter a name for the preset."

Of course not. But if your mouse and keyboard are more like 8ft away, as they are in my case, it's a slightly different story.

• JesterMgee

wireless keyboard?

• Gob

I suppose I could have a second computer keyboard for that sole purpose, but it seems a little excessive. I think I'll just stick with the custom script option for now.

Thanks!

• nelligan tetrault
    nelligan tetrault Member Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 23

I too 100% agree with Gob that the whole purpose of those nice screens/dedicaded knob is to get away from mouse and keyboard. To be more hands on, hell even close the computer screen and focus on the keyboard. Otherwise, why not tweak the controls from the VST itself if you want to focus on your PC.

In that line of thought, I would really enjoy a way to save preset from the controller, even if it's something rudimentary to later rename properly.

Anyone know some sort of way to do that on windows (noobfriendly scriptwise).

Did they implement that in the mk3???

thanks

• JesterMgee

Anyone know some sort of way to do that on windows (noobfriendly scriptwise).

Not really, Most accept that nice things are nice but sometimes a tool designed for the task is the best one to use.

Did they implement that in the mk3???

No