M32 native midi mode

aladinf
aladinf Member Posts: 8 Newcomer

Hi,

i am thinking about buying the M32 to use with Reason. I want to use it in Midi Mode.

It needs to send relative controllers on the 8 knobs and the big Encoder. Can the M32 be configured to do this? Does the Komplete Software need to run for this (i would prefer it doesnt have to run)?

Is there a Midi implementation document which states what controls send what midi message by default (in Midi Mode) - you turn on the unit, plug it in usb and that is what the controls send.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@aladinf You can choose which CCs you can assign for the knobs with the Komplete Kontrol standalone application:

Answers

• aladinf
    edited May 2023

Thx, i have read a couple of ressources among which those two documents were.

They do not answer the question:

do custom Midi assignments stay on the unit when i connect it to eg a destination were komplete kontrol is not running (hardware, linux or a computer without complete kontrol)?

what controls can i assign custom midi controls to?Thats the most important question. Does every button send midi messages in midi mode? Usually you can find some sort of Midi Implementation but i cant find any. Thats an important thing to know before buying.

It would even help if someone checks at least in Complete Control - Midi Mode - what controls are on offer to assign custom midi messages to.

• aladinf

To make this a bit easer and cleaned up. There are two things i need to know for now.

1.) What controls does Complete Control offer for Midi-Mode to assign custom midi to?

2.) If Complete Control doesnt run and you open a Midi Monitor on your PC what midi messages are monitored for the different controls in Midi Mode -essentially the Midi Implementation?

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

Download the manual from the link provided by @LostInFoundation and it will completely cover the midi implementation available in the M32.

KK GUI starts assigning the 8 controller knobs at CC#14.

Usually CC#1 is assigned to ModWheel and cannot be changed. Possibly CC#64 defaults to Pedal too.

• aladinf

Sorry but the manual doesnt provide any midi implimentation. I may have been misunderstood. "Midi implementation" usually refers to a technical list of anything related to the midi messages of a synth/controller (https://www.midi.org/forms/midi_chart-v2.pdf).

The manual states that the midi editor is able to assign custom ccs to the knobs, keys and the pedal.

But what about all the buttons and the big encoders. There is no mentioning of them. And if they are not assignable, do they send fixed midi messages or nothing at all? I derived that "record,play and loop and the encoder send midi messages from the Reason Midi Codec for the M32. But what about the rest of the buttons and the xy joystick etc...

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@aladinf You can choose which CCs you can assign for the knobs with the Komplete Kontrol standalone application:

• aladinf

I know about the knobs and that aside from that assignments for keys and the pedal can be made in Komplete Kontrol.

BUT what about the big encoder with its Joystick function and all the Buttons on the unit. I suppose they cant be custom assigned in the Editor. But are they sending Midi by default and if yes what message are they sending?

Like i said, i studied the recently published Remote Codec by Reasonstudios for the M32 and found that play, record and loop seem to send Midi as well as the big encoder. But i have no information if the other buttons and the joystick send something. Thats what i need to know. What controls do i get when i plug it into Reason (i am able to mess with Midi translations and Codecs to suit my needs)?

I thought thats a trivial question as all other Hardware i own have a page in the manual where the hardware controls are listed one by one with their corresponding midi messages.

• Jeremy_NI

Only the controls you can assign in the Komplete Kontrol application are assignable, not the other buttons or the 4D encoder.

• aladinf

I understand that Komplete Kontrol only allows to assign custom midi to knobs, keys and pedal.

However the unit seems to send Midi on the record play and loop button aswell as on the rotation of the 4d encoder by default. Otherwise the official Reason codec for the M32 wouldnt work (in that codec those controls are listed with midi note numbers/ccs and reason codecs are lua based and only work with midi, so there is no proprietary code at work).

So what is with the other buttons and the joystick functions? Do they send midi or not? Someone must be able to connect a midi monitor and check out what they send by default.

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 254 Pro

If you want to get the most out of midi you need to do it on the DAW side. I use Studio One and did a deep dive video showing mapping of all knobs and buttons, multiple pages, naming them all so they show on screen, etc. But you cannot map the large encoder that I am aware of. But the sky is the limit otherwise...I hope it helps get you on the right track..

Controlling Studio One plugins with Midi Keyboards/Hardware Controllers - YouTube

• aladinf
    edited May 2023

Reason relies on the hardware controller to send Midi if you want to control its devices. So i need to know what midi the controls send. I then can do what ever i want with the controls through their remote sdk but stuff needs to come in as midi.

But i am lacking the complete information and it is hard to come by. I dont wanna just buy it (like i did so often in the past) and then realize 2/3 of the buttons dont send anything useful.

• aladinf
    edited May 2023

As far as i can tell from further checking of the Reason M32 codec the M32 sends midi notes over the Daw port for loop, record, stop and play. No mentioning of any other of the buttons though. Maybe someone could plug the thing into Midi-Ox to see if the other buttons send something. Would be super helpful :-)

• Ahdee
    Ahdee Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

This tutorial was everything I needed in my studio life right now. It should have 100k views. Thank you.