Komplete Kontrol Auto-focus when more than 99 tracks using KK VST exist

mchantzi
mchantzi Member Posts: 23 Member

Hi there!

Curious to know if there is a workaround to auto-focus on our S-Series MK2 the currently selected KK instance, when a) we have more than 99 tracks hosting KK or b) (and this is a more frequent one) when we have multiple open projects (I'm using Cubase) when again the NIKB parameter can easily exceed the 99 limit.

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Prob not, 99 instances is quite a lot really and not recommended. Also, not sure it would support working with 2 instances of a DAW open at a time. Just is not designed for these use cases.

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro

Several DAWs have issues with track counts in 3 digits. They function from 99 and up, but many of the control surfaces integrated beyond that get confused.

You are not alone, however, I have 4 DAWs available, and they all react in a similar manner past track 99... as in "just what are you trying to do to me?". One of the DAWs can label tracks past 99, but one of the displays is truncated to only show 2 digits, so... "is that track 10?... or track 10?"

However, I have templates with up to 150 tracks, and just learn navigation workarounds.

• mchantzi

Hi Jester, of course I agree on that 99 instances are a lot.

However, the real problem in my case as I stated in (b) of my post, begins when I have 2-3 projects open (they usually have around 16-24 instances each) and I move around them by activating one (and that deactivates the previous). When this happens, the Komplete Kontrol instances first parameter (NIKB) get a new value (they increment, thus they are treated as new ones, I guess) and this very quick leads to the 99 limit. NOT a big deal in the end, because I usually I have these projects open for copy-paste in the "new" one, however, I was hoping that I missed an existing option in Komplete Kontrol (for example, allow more than 99 instances in auto-focus).

• mchantzi

Hi Brad, when a new Komplete Kontrol track is created, the very first parameter of its controls, holds an NIKB prefix followed by an auto-increment number reflecting the instance. I know (by monitoring the MIDI DAW-1 port) that this parameter is sent to NIHIA. So it has to be that there's an internal limitation to this manager, and not a limitation of the DAW :) Anyway, as I stated in my previous reply to Jest, NOT a big deal, but I think this could be easily added as an option there.

• JesterMgee

Is that NIKB parameter still valid?

I know it use to be with the KK v1 but I thought that was now not required with the MK2, tho I use Ableton and sems it is no longer a requirement to have that parameter in a tracks control list. Could be wrong with other DAWs on this one tho.

• mchantzi

Not sure if it's valid, however I do use this in Cubase 12 and a script I've created for the MK2 with no problem at all (apart from this 99-tracks "limit"). At the same time, I see that in the MCU integration by NI, similar sysexes are sent, so I have to guess this is still valid in Cubase.

Curious to know if they handle it a new way now, I maybe have to check the Ableton's script. Thank you for your insight!

• JesterMgee

Yeah I cannot really say for sure as I haven't looked deep and always try keep projects to a minimum of tracks where possible but I know that it was a requirement in Live originally to use an "Instrument Rack" supplied by NI which had the NIKB parameter pre-mapped and would start at "NIK B00" (which I called it Nik Boo) and as you mentioned, would increment with each instance of KK.

At some stage I recall an update saying that the Instrument rack was no longer required and you could add an instance of KK directly to a track now so it seems that this ID parameter was moved internally in KK but unsure if it has that same 99 limitation. I guess if they only made proviosion for 2 digits it could be an issue, tho I am sure there are some users out there with moster orchestral templates with more instances than 99 tho not sure i'd be game to try that myself.