Are you limited in the amount of Maschine serial codes in one account?

NativeAmerican
NativeAmerican Member Posts: 43 Member

I own Six Maschine devices. When I registered my last device, I did not get a copy of Maschine software. The support person said I did not get a copy because I have multiple copies already. Well, I own six devices, I want to give away a couple and also give away the software that should be included. To me it does not make sense that I own six devices, but am limited to two devices I can use them on at the same time. It is impossible to use all of my devices with two devices with the software. Are other people limited in the amount of serial codes they have for Maschine?

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    Answer ✓

@NativeAmerican No you're not limited in the amount of licences on your account. I believe you are in contact with our registration agents and all is good now.

With every licence you own, you can run the Maschine on your software, so it means that if you own and register 6 devices you can run the software on 12 computers.

If you give away the hardware and transfer it to a new owner, they will get the software anyway, and for free. You can't transfer the software by itself because it's tied to the hardware.

I hope that this clears it out.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert
    edited May 2023

You are totally right. If you bought 6 Maschine, you paid for 6 softwares.

They are already not allowing us to us it on more than 2 devices, now even not giving you what you paid for is too much.

What if you want to sell them and give the software (that belongs to you and is your right to have) with them?

And please don’ tell me NI will give the software to the new user anyway… He paid for 6 Maschine included software. It’ not correct not giving it to him

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited May 2023

There's a max of licenses?

If you have 1 device that gives you a Maschine v2 license that's enough, so didn't have to register anymore after that, this also facilitates your life if you ever sell the HW, you can just give the original untouched license to the buyer without having to go thru support for transfers.

In your shoes, perhaps I would ask support to remove the oldest licenses to fit the more recent ones? Not sure what the advantage would be tho... Maybe more futureproofing as sometimes they adjust how licenses work and it's more likely that it will affect more modern products.

As far as using it on more than 2 devices you should be fine if you don't abuse it, NI is not very strict about this. I have 3 computers with no issues, one of them is a Hackintosh so counts as 2 due to a Mac/Win installation. I never have the software actually open on the 3/4 computers at the same time tho.

@LostInFoundation said:

What if you want to sell them and give the software (that belongs to you and is your right to have) with them?

And please don’ tell me NI will give the software to the new user anyway… He paid for 6 Maschine included software. It’ not correct not giving it to him

That's not how it works.

If you sell MAS HW and transfer the license you get to keep your license, so both the seller and buyer have the software, this means the license does not leave your account. This is actually amazing because if you sell a MAS HW you get to still open your projects and such, idk any other company that does this; NI sucks in many aspects but not in this one.

What do you mean 'not giving it', he already has it, it's just a bunch of dupes. if you have 1 or 1000 it makes no difference.

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@NativeAmerican No you're not limited in the amount of licences on your account. I believe you are in contact with our registration agents and all is good now.

With every licence you own, you can run the Maschine on your software, so it means that if you own and register 6 devices you can run the software on 12 computers.

If you give away the hardware and transfer it to a new owner, they will get the software anyway, and for free. You can't transfer the software by itself because it's tied to the hardware.

I hope that this clears it out.

• NativeAmerican
    edited May 2023

Thanks for the help figuring out how the process works. I do think it is cool that they give new serial numbers to the new owners. I bought a few used devices and I was not sure if the Maschine software would transfer more than once. The Maschine software should be free in my opinion, because then people can purchase sound packs and they become instant consumers. I did not even know about the license transfers until after I bought a Maschine. I think the option is way cool so you can resale your sound packs or whatever like you can with video games on steam.

One of my ideas to utilize them at the same time, would be using two set ups, side by side, allowing two users to play the devices like a mix. I wanted to do this with just one laptop, but I don't think the software is made to work with more than one maschine device at a time. The reason I would need multiple codes is to play simultaneously on more than one device at a time from the serial code for the software.

Yes, you can install on more than one device with one serial, but even if you can run it on 12 software devices by owning six Maschine hardware devices, does that mean they can run all the devices at the same time as long as the controllers are plugged in?

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,198 Expert

Thank you Jeremy to clarify it.

@D-One This is all I was saying. It’s correct to give the user who bought X Maschines X softwares. What he wants to do with them is his business. As Jeremy said, the users maybe just want to be able to activate Maschine in 12 computers. Or to open more than one software instance all at the same time on different computers to have the pads ready with different kits to make an extraordinary finger drumming show (think Jeremy Ellis, ancient NI testimonial ☺️).

And yes, giving the software to new user and also allowing ancient user to keep it is very generous and peculiar. Nonetheless it is correct new user receives all the softwares he must receive with all the devices he bought, as Jeremy testified

👍🏼

• NativeAmerican

Right now, my scenarios are hypothetical although I do own six Maschine devices, and I almost bought the MKIII also. They all basically do the same thing and I only own two laptops currently. I didn't understand how the process works, so I am just trying to figure out how to make use of them. Since I plan on giving away two of them away and the new owners will receive a copy of the software once they register, I don't have to worry about those. I am also interested in figuring out how to use two or more at the same time. You could technically have an entire group playing through a mixer. This scenario would not need notation, only programming the sounds so they could be utilized in a live performance.

I want to make it like a group session with people or fellow music students at my college. One computer can not run this type of session. This simply could create a group, not just maschine devices, but could be made of only maschine devices. But the software can do a few instruments, like a keyboard, a maschine, a mic. I guess the audio interface can accomplish this basically, but it is a lot for one computer to handle if you do want to record a session.

I am interested in getting my college connected with this platform when they start electronic music next August also. The more I know, the better I can present it to my professor over the summer. I plan on taking the course to learn the terms and stuff involved with MIDI and Electronic interfaces. I know Ableton does an education license for schools to use it as a learning tool.

• Jeremy_NI

@NativeAmerican There are no educational licenses for Maschine but there are options for Reaktor and the Komplete bundles. You can find more information about educational licenses here: Does Native Instruments Offer Educational Licenses or Discounts for Students and Teachers?