Stereo Audio Interface for iPad with USB C

Radiouli
Radiouli Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

Hello dear community, I need an audio interface for my new iPad with USB C. It is intended to be connected to a blender using the Traktor iPad app. I would like to put two stereo channels on my mixer. Which audio interface do I need? Greetings Uli

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,194 Expert

Any class compliant audio interface will work with iPad usb c.

Or…have a look also to Traktor Kontrol Z1, that work wit iPad and specifically made for Traktor DJ 1 and 2

• Radiouli

Thank you for you answer. I need a USB-B to USB-C Cable - right ? And will the iPad charged ?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

No, Z1 will not charge iPad. On contrary iPad will charge Z1.

• Radiouli

Ok, how do I then implement the power supply for the two devices with a power pack?

• Digital_Fist
    Digital_Fist Member Posts: 21 Member

Hi there, I'm really confused because I've been looking into this exact setup myself, which my friend told me as recently as yesterday that he's been using (iPad Air + Z1 + MiniRigs) for nearly a decade, and yet on the pages for both the Z1 and Traktor DJ 2, it clearly says

"https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-software/traktor-dj-2/

*TRAKTOR KONTROL Z1 is only compatible with the desktop version of TRAKTOR DJ 2.

What am I missing here?

• Radiouli

Hello, got the Kontrol Z1 today and am disappointed. Mixer lights up (LED) briefly, then nothing can be seen or heard, everything is dark, no sound. Nothing is happening on either the Mac or the iPad Pro.

• LostInFoundation

Did you chose the Z1 as the audio interface in the preferences?

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

😶 This is quite strange. I used it in the past. (If I remember correctly, it did even came with a cable with lightning connector)

Let me try to hook it up now…

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

Ok…finished my early testing…and…as usual with NI, things are strange:

Connected to my iPad M1 (usb c connector) the Z1 lights up but it works only as a controller. Audio is still coming out of ipad (no matter if I plug it also with the power adapter or not)

Connected to my iPad Pro 10.9 (lightning connector) everything works, also the audio interface aspect of it (of course it must be plugged with power adapter (lightning doesn’t provide enough power), but it also charge the iPad, which I didn’t remember).

@Jeremy_NI the statement in the linked page isn’t correct (https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/dj-software/traktor-dj-2/): Z1 is not only compatible with the desktop version of TRAKTOR DJ 2, it is also compatible with iPad Traktor DJ 2 with lightning connector and compatible ONLY as a controller with iPad Traktor DJ 2 with usb c connector.

Now that iPads with usb c can feed enough power to the Z1, they don’t make it compatible…sorry…but it really seems like they always try to find a way to force users to buy new hardwares instead of using what they already have and they gave them money to buy it…

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

Z1 charges ipad with lightning connectors when connected also with power adapter , as it was even advertised

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    edited May 2023

Maybe using a hub between usb-c and z1. My gut says usb-c doesn’t recognize properly the device but maybe throught hub and pluging the z1 with usb-a to b cable could do the trick?

Also using a hub the iPad could be charged at the same time…

• LostInFoundation
    edited May 2023

Sorry, I don’t have a usb c hub to further testing if it gets recognized as an audio interface too through it.

About charging: as I said, it was already charging through lightning…I don’t seé why usb c connector wouldn’t do it (but I also don’t see why usb c wouldn’t recognize it as an audio interface, but it isn’t…)

The fact that NI itself put on the Z1 page that “*TRAKTOR KONTROL Z1 is only compatible with the desktop version of TRAKTOR DJ 2.” Isn’t encouraging anyway…It was even advertised as a device for iPads and Traktor DJ2 for iPad…

I stand on my position: NI doesn’t like tablets AT ALL

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Traktor works just fine on Win tablet. I use it so.

I guess that NI does not want to support 3 OSes and waits till Apple unifies MacOC and iPadOS. Apple should stop artificial separation of those two...

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 151 Advisor
    edited May 2023

You can buy a USB Anything-to-C cable for next to nothing on Amazon.

Don't really need to consider what port is on the interface side.

• Radiouli

Too bad, so for me unusable with ipad Pro and USB-C. Strange that there is no audio interface where you have two stereo audio outputs and the iPad is charged.