What's the deal with using an iPad/Z1 these days? Is that the way to go for mobile?

Options
Digital_Fist
Digital_Fist Member Posts: 21 Member

Hi there, I'm very very strongly considering upgrading to an S3 soon as I'm finding myself using extra decks more often for minimal techno and also experimenting with acapellas.

But I have a parallel interest in creating some kind of mobile setup that I could hypothetically take to a quiet patch of forest or something with a few friends for a spin... you know what I mean. A friend of mine did this very successfully about ten years ago using an iPad Air, he says, and using a Z1 to provide some kind of hands-on interface with the faders. His data is about a decade out of date though, and I've never actually used a tablet before though I'm very familiar with the Mac ecosystem otherwise. We have quite powerful portable batteries now and I'd be more than happy with a pair of MiniRigs for the rest of it, but I'm wondering how you guys would hypothetically approach something like that today?

Am I right in thinking that the Z1 has no play/cue button? And that there is no cross-compatibility in the libraries between Traktor Pro 3 and Traktor DJ 2? Is there anything else I haven't thought of that you think I should consider before attempting something like this? What iPad would you recommend? Obviously there's a trade-off between functionality and having something that's too unwieldy to be comfortable? The Z1 handles split-cueing on the headphones, right?

All advice welcome.

Tagged:

Answers

• Digital_Fist
    Options

I'm also confused because on the product's own website page, it says Traktor DJ 2 is only compatible with the Z1 in desktop version when I know for a fact that my friend has been using it with an iPad for most of a decade. Has something changed, or is this inaccurate? Is any of the hardware compatible with tablets then, or should I abandon the idea?

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,286 Expert
    Options

All the things you said are correct.

What I would suggest you to consider if you go the Z1 way is to also consider something that allows to charge your iPad while the Z1 is connected (a usb powered hub or, if you go with an iPad with lightning connector, the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter).

As you said, batteries nowadays last long, but an iPad (which also have to power the Z1) won’t stay on thaaaaat long.

Unless you will really use it only in the middle of a forest where you don’t have a power source to connect it to anyway 😂😂😂 (but even there you could use a power bank)

• Digital_Fist
    Options

Thank you for such a rapid response.

I'm still confused by this bit here, right at the top of the product webpage. It seems like precisely the sort of application this hardware was designed for, and I know my friend has done it before, but it implies it no longer works.

Ultra-portable setup for TRAKTOR DJ 2 (desktop) and TRAKTOR PRO 3

What am I not getting here? Is there any alternative way to accomplish this?

• Digital_Fist
    edited May 2023
    Options

*TRAKTOR KONTROL Z1 is only compatible with the desktop version of TRAKTOR DJ 2.

Similarly from the bottom of that product page. It sounds like it doesn't work anymore, for some reason. Obviously this is something I need to confirm before spending hundreds of pounds at gear which would be useless.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,360 Expert
    Options

Why not go with different software for mobile?

Even if it would work now, AFAIK there is no more work put into Traktor DJ 2.

• Digital_Fist
    Options

This is also only 3 years old.

• Digital_Fist
    Options

Is there any alternative people would recommend if basically most of the equipment is unsupported and Traktor DJ 2 seems unlikely to get an update (that's what I've gleaned from maybe two hours on the forum)?

I was genuinely really excited about this idea, as it's something I've thought about for years, and seeing someone's working kit over the weekend truly inspired me, but I'm just disappointed now.

I'm still going to upgrade my S2 Mk2 to an S3 for completely unrelated reasons, but I suppose the mobile dream is over. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• lord-carlos
    Options

Algoriddim djay pro probably blows Traktor DJ 2 out of the water in every possible way.

See supported hardware here: https://www.algoriddim.com/hardware#ios

For example "Reloop MIXTOUR"

And please, please I beg you. Contain yourself to a single thread. No reasons to bump old thread with the same post over and over again.

• Demus
    Demus Member Posts: 155 Pro
    Options

Question. Anyone knows if Erick still working at NI? Haven't seen any tutorial from him in a longtime.

• lord-carlos
    Options
  • Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro
    edited May 2023
    Options

Try to put S3 into midi mode and use it with Djay Pro (by far better solution than TDj2)

h ttps://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006377918-How-to-Switch-Your-TRAKTOR-KONTROL-S2-MK3-to-MIDI-Mode

(correct the space between h and ttps… the forum returns an error from linking NI site :facepalm: )

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Have a look at the end of this thread. I made some tests yesterday for another users and you can find some interesting info (spoiler: Z1 is completely functional with iPads with lightning connector, work only as controller (no audio interface) with iPads with usb c connector):

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Suggestion: when you paste a NI link, if you post immediately it works. The error takes effect only if you continue writing (after you push enter) 😉

• ilove1981
    ilove1981 Member Posts: 45 Helper
    Options

My completely mobile setup is an S2 Mk3, iPad running Traktor DJ 2 and all powered by a 20,000mAH powerbank. I can get 6-8 hours out of it easily.

• Digital_Fist
    Options

Okay, interesting. Maybe it’s not a total loss then. Would a simple adapter from lightning to USB-C fix it, perhaps?