What's the deal with using an iPad/Z1 these days? Is that the way to go for mobile?

Digital_Fist
Digital_Fist Member Posts: 21 Member

Hi there, I'm very very strongly considering upgrading to an S3 soon as I'm finding myself using extra decks more often for minimal techno and also experimenting with acapellas.

But I have a parallel interest in creating some kind of mobile setup that I could hypothetically take to a quiet patch of forest or something with a few friends for a spin... you know what I mean. A friend of mine did this very successfully about ten years ago using an iPad Air, he says, and using a Z1 to provide some kind of hands-on interface with the faders. His data is about a decade out of date though, and I've never actually used a tablet before though I'm very familiar with the Mac ecosystem otherwise. We have quite powerful portable batteries now and I'd be more than happy with a pair of MiniRigs for the rest of it, but I'm wondering how you guys would hypothetically approach something like that today?

Am I right in thinking that the Z1 has no play/cue button? And that there is no cross-compatibility in the libraries between Traktor Pro 3 and Traktor DJ 2? Is there anything else I haven't thought of that you think I should consider before attempting something like this? What iPad would you recommend? Obviously there's a trade-off between functionality and having something that's too unwieldy to be comfortable? The Z1 handles split-cueing on the headphones, right?

All advice welcome.

Tagged:

Answers